We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akaka Falls

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Akaka Falls

is Akaka Falls on the way to Hilo from Kona or past Hilo on the Volcanoes NP side? I'm trying to figure the best time to check it out. also, how far off the highway is it, and how far from the parking lot. reson being, I have small kids with me. thx.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,190 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Akaka Falls

It is about 15 miles north of Hilo. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is south of Hilo.

There is a short (1/2 mile) loop trail (from the parking lot) that includes Kahuna Falls. You could take the trail just to Akaka Falls, but round trip it is almost as long as doing the loop trail. The trail is fairly easy.

driveguidemagazines.com/big_island_hamakua_h…

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Hawaii Volcanoes...
7,226 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akaka Falls

As of two weeks ago the "loop" trail was closed for maintenaince. You can still get to Akaka falls with a 5 minute walk but no loop (at least a few weeks ago.

The falls are easy to get to, maybe 5 minutes off of the main loop around the island. There are plenty of signs.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,322 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akaka Falls

hi cogman,

you've had your question answered, but I think you need a good guide book and a map of the island. If you were working with those you wouldn't have been in doubt where Akaka lies on the island.

These are essential tools for trip planning!

The Drive Maps that come with cars are indeed useful once you arrive.

But for $20 or so you can have a guide at your side.

I like Lonely Planet for a small easy to pack book that is jammed with info. There are numerous books, geared for different travelers' needs.

Whatever you buy, get one dedicated to Big Island alone, not an all-Hawai`i book.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akaka Falls

Hi cogman,

We walked the Akaka Falls loop in September with two small children (2 and 4 yrs old). It is the perfect distance for children that age, although we picked up the 2 year old a few times. The asphalt is bumpy in places and narrow, so not stroller accessible. We had a great time and the kids loved seeing the falls and walking in the steamy rainforest.

Akaka Falls is not far from the highway (maybe 11 miles). You'll pass by a cute town.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akaka Falls

That cute town is Honomu and you should make sure to stop there and explore those little shops. You will find lots of things there that you can't find anywhere else.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akaka Falls

Thanks, TT! I had forgotten the name of the town and was too lazy to look in my journal for it! Honumu has some great little shops (clothing, antiques, etc.) and restaurants. There is also a little stand (Mana's Aloha Fruit Stand?) along the road leading to Akaka Falls that sells unique tropical fruit you won't see elsewhere. Have fun!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akaka Falls

And..........the best time to see the falls or any of the east side things is between 7 to 10 am.. because of the excellent light the morning sun offers......

And unless we get some more rain dont expect to see the roaring falls as in the guides........we are in a drought from Kauai to Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
8. Re: Akaka Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 00:17