We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you don't stay in Hilo, where do you stay for 1 night?

california
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
If you don't stay in Hilo, where do you stay for 1 night?

We will have only 1 day to see the Volcano. The forum says not to stay in Hilo. For 1 night, what is the best area/hotel to stay in? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you don't stay in Hilo, where do you stay for 1 night?

Aoha

The Kilauea Lodge in Volcano, 28 miles out of Hilo....and 3000 ft higher in the rain forest.....next to the park

Good food and rooms and nice people too.

Thats my experience and opinion

HD

Mentioned in this post
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you don't stay in Hilo, where do you stay for 1 night?

An alternate to Dan's suggestion (which is a good one) would be the Volcano House inside the park. If you stay thaere pay the extra for a deluxe crater view room, you will love the view.

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: If you don't stay in Hilo, where do you stay for 1 night?

Aloha gymboree, I agree with BB the Volcano house inside the park is great for a one night stay. My sons loved the view and the old hotel which is similar to Yellowstone Lodge.

Mentioned in this post
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
maryland
Level Contributor
289 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you don't stay in Hilo, where do you stay for 1 night?

just got back from Kileaua Lodge- highly recommend, and breakfast is included

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If you don't stay in Hilo, where do you stay for 1 night?

We've stayed at the Volcano TeaPot Cottage (see their website for pics) twice, and it is right next to the Park--a lovely setting, private, comfortable, amazing breakfasts--we felt totally relaxed and pampered there. We really like being in our own place, so having a private cottage was fantastic! The Kiluea Lodge is nearby, has a lovely dining room, and we've eaten there (not much selection for vegetarians when we were there, but exotic meats, like ostrich and venison, besides steaks, etc.---it is a pretty place and has been recommended by locals and tourists alike). There are lots of B&Bs near Volcano, and they look great too. A friend stayed at the lodge on the rim of the crater--she said things were a little worn and tattered in her room, but she loved being right next to the volcano and appreciated the history of the place. Good luck to you--say hi to the volcano for us---we look forward to visiting there again soon.

Mentioned in this post
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: If you don't stay in Hilo, where do you stay for 1 night?

Sorry for chiming in so late to your numerous past posts...

Are you staying on the Big Island for 1 day? And are trying to figure out where's a cheap-inexpensive place on the Big Isle? And heard that it's cheaper to stay in Hilo rather than in the popular Kona side of the island? Am I reading this correct?

If this is true... then you might want to check out the Manago Hotel and it's restaurant for the 6 of you. Their website is: (managohotel.com) # (808) 323-2642. They are located in Captain Cook (south Kona area) and are a 3 generation Japanese owned & operated local establishment. (I've used them a few times in the past decades when on very last minute business of mine for property that I own in the Kona area and have the Dillingham Corp. manage it for me.) The 2-story lodge is a very simple layout and sparsely-basic furnished. (Then again how often are you going to spend most of your time in your room verses roaming the island for sightseeing?) Rooms come either standard westernly furnished or Japanese style. With either a private bath or a shared bath located between 2 suites/rooms. Cheapest rates are $30 for a shared bath to $49-52 for a private bath rm, to $68 for a Japanese style room. And also numerous optional choices for number of beds in each room. The second floor rooms are a few dollars more, but you can see the ocean from there. Frommer's gave this old local hole-in-the-wall jewel a good review..

There's also alot of cheap eats-shoestring budget foods on the Kona side of the Big Island too. Also all over the Big Island and Maui too. It was talked about 4-6 weeks ago on these island forums, scroll back and dig around for it...

hope this helps you out better...

Mentioned in this post
Captain Cook
Captain Cook
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: If you don't stay in Hilo, where do you stay for 1 night?

Oh, and also they serve dinner downstairs every night for their hotel guests. Cheap, around $9 and you get huge portions of local food grinds.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you don't stay in Hilo, where do you stay for 1 night?

This is true.....they are nice basic economy places.....but sadly over 100 miles from Hilo.. you would wear your self out.

consider doing less is in some cases more......

.for a one night stay as close to what it is that you want to see most if it is in hilo then hilo, if it is in Kona then Kona and if it is the volcano then natch Volcano

The Volcano and the park is the finest and best attraction in all the hAWAIIAN ISLANDS Filled with wonder and culture and contrast from desert to alpine to sea to jungle.....all in one unique place...... in my opinion..... I love nature and science but being mature...also like a soft bed, a good glass of wine and a fine meal........ forget Sparta..... I did that in past years

Enjoy and take it slow and smell the lava.....

HD

Mentioned in this post
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
Pearl Harbor
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: If you don't stay in Hilo, where do you stay for 1 night?

The Manago Hotel in South Kona! I had almost forgotten about this place. It is simple, clean, and has a quaint, family style restaurant with it. Who could imagine all this in the heart of Kona Coffee country for their price?

Delightful!

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: If you don't stay in Hilo, where do you stay for 1 night?

Aloha gym, mapquest quotes 2 hrs. 4 min from Hilo to Kauila/Kona. Tour buses drive around the BI stopping at the important tourist sights in 9 hrs.