We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilo - Condo- House or Hotel?

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
154 posts
950 reviews
Save Topic
Hilo - Condo- House or Hotel?

Hi

I found what looks like a great place in Kona for 7 days. I wanto to spend 7 days in the other side of the Island. The more research I do the more undecided I become. The hotels look very old and in need of maintenance. The B&B's look like too little parivacy and the homes, are they too isolated? Where should I stay? I need a 2 bedroom. I overspent on the Kona Condo so I would like something mid range, no stairs.

Thanks for your any help.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilo - Condo- House or Hotel?

I would look into renting a cottage in Volcano Village, easy ride to Hilo and many more affordable options. Make sure it is truly in Volcano Village, many Puna folks pretend they are in Volcano Village :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
154 posts
950 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilo - Condo- House or Hotel?

I forgot to say that I want an Ocenafornt. Thanks

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilo - Condo- House or Hotel?

In Hilo? That is more limiting..the oceanfront hotels in Hilo are not going to have many (if any) stars. They are going to be older and tired. Maybe you should consider doing 10 nights Kona side and 3 nights Hilo side.. ?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
154 posts
950 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilo - Condo- House or Hotel?

Thanks for your help. I am thinking of spending a night in the Volcano on the park. I just want an driving location to explore the other side of the island. Maybe there is a better town than Hilo? I don't like seclution, I like to be around the town and I really want a water front. Picky Picky!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilo - Condo- House or Hotel?

What exploring are you looking to do from Hilo? 7 days really may be too many for Hilo. Hilo is the county seat and where regular local business gets done. It is cute enough, but not tourist focused.

The hotels are tired. I stayed one night at the Hilo Hotel (for work) and decided that from then on I would fly home to Oahu at night even if I needed to be in Hilo again in the morning. I had a lovely oceanfront view, but the room was musty and dated.

It rains a lot there, and is often gray and muggy. I found the people consistantly warm and wonderful, probably the nicest I have encountered in any single town in the islands. Wayyyyyy Aloha.

For what you want, I really think that renting a house or B&B will be your best bet. How many of you and what ages?

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilo - Condo- House or Hotel?

There are plenty of hotels on the ocean in Hilo, you will need to choose the one you like best, you can be picky all you want but you can only be picky about what is there, not what you wish to be there :)

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60583-Hilo_Island_of…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilo - Condo- House or Hotel?

I respectfully suggest maybe you research the east side a little more. Other than the Kapoho area and around there in Puna (not near town or much of anything, the charm for those seeking that) there is not a lot of "opceanfront." Similarly, swimming beaches are more scarce there.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
154 posts
950 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilo - Condo- House or Hotel?

Well, I was planing on exploring from Hilo to Hawi and then from Hilo to Na alehu. There is 3 of us one is 85 the other 2 middle age.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilo - Condo- House or Hotel?

Well click on Hilo Hotel button to the left. You can get seaside but nothing special. Hilo is basically an older town w/ no real high end resorts so your gonna have to look at convenience and scenery vs. a really nice hotel. No other town on the east side is gonna have much in way of fancy hotels.

My friend always stays at Dolphin Bay, good basic rooms, short walk to downtown, but not water front.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilo - Condo- House or Hotel?

I would do 10 nights Kona side, 2 night in a B&B in volcano, like My Island or rent a cottage and 2 nights at the Dolphin.