We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healthy vegetarian options in Hilo?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
137 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Healthy vegetarian options in Hilo?

I'm actually from Hilo, but haven't lived there for over 15 yrs, and haven't been back for at least 3 yrs. During my time away, I've become a vegetarian. I'm planning a trip back, but wonder if there are restaurants that serve tasty & healthy vegetarian entrees?

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Paul's Place
££ - £££, American, Contemporary
Moonstruck Patisserie
££ - £££, European, Cafe
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Healthy vegetarian options in Hilo?

While not restaurants, three places you will see the vegetarians congregating are the natural food stores. I don't go to Abundant Life on the Bayshore, but Island Naturals in the Hilo Shopping Center and Down to Earth, which has moved in next to Borders near Walmart, both have hot dish/salad bars plus made to order sandwiches and smoothies. If you want something really healthy, those are the places.

Down to Earth is very Vegan-oriented; as a non-Vegan I prefer Island Naturals.

Other restaurants will typically have something for vegetarians. Sombat Thai by Ken's uses organic produce. Cafe Pesto and Hilo Bay Cafe both have good salads and will have choices.

You might also stop in Kopekope Coffee Shop for a place to hang out, same center as Island Naturals.

There are a lot more vegetarians around Pahoa than Hilo, for sure. As you surely know, local cuisine is all about meat and starch!

Edited: 11 April 2010, 01:33
Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo Bay Cafe
Hilo Bay Cafe
1,314 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
137 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Healthy vegetarian options in Hilo?

Thanks, and also thanks for responding to my internatl flight trip question! While I lived in Hilo, I was a major carnivore, so I would have no idea how to navigate Hilo as a veggie now! I know I will miss the ahi poke, pipikaula, Portuguese sausage & of course, the SPAM!!! : )

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Healthy vegetarian options in Hilo?

LOL, are you temptation proof? You WILLl be tested.

I was raised a vegetarian, and talk about difficulty eating out, the 50's and early 60's were a tough time for veggies. So I know all about the search. I stopped being vegetarian at some point, but I'm still not much of a carnivore, although I like fish and poultry.

If you eat tofu now you can generally do well in the Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese restaurants. I highly recommend little Sombat Thai restaurant. The owner grows her own organic herbs, and buys organic, and you can trust her ingredients. Closed Sunday and Monday.

Hilo Bay Cafe is owned by the Island Naturals folks, and they offer some options even though a Blue Cheeseburger is one of their staples.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo Bay Cafe
Hilo Bay Cafe
1,314 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
137 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Healthy vegetarian options in Hilo?

I do love tofu, and love Thai, Vietnamese & Japanese food, so it should work out.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Healthy vegetarian options in Hilo?

"Hilo Bay Cafe is owned by the Island Naturals folks." KK, the "Island Naturals folks" got divorced, the husband got the health food stores and the wife got the restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo Bay Cafe
Hilo Bay Cafe
1,314 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
California & Hawaii
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Healthy vegetarian options in Hilo?

I am a fan of the Lokelani pizza at Café Pesto. (Basil, tomatoes, gorgonzola crumbles.)

If you make it up to Hawi, the goat cheese with polenta salad at the Bamboo, "The Rock" salad at Sushi Rock, the spanakopita and spinach quiche at Pico's Bistro are some more favorites. (I'm a vegetarian, too.)

7. Re: Healthy vegetarian options in Hilo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 06:19