We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilo Farmer's Market and then Akaka Falls?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
16 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Hilo Farmer's Market and then Akaka Falls?

We will be staying at a BandB in Volcano for 2 days and are thinking of going early Saturday morning to check out the Hilo Farmer's Market. Would it be possible (or make sense) to continue on to explore Akaka Falls from the farmer's market?

Thanks for any input/advice!

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
925 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilo Farmer's Market and then Akaka Falls?

Most definately!! Akaka State Park is a nice little park and to get to the falls is an easy hike. Try this link for directions from the Farmer's Market to Akaka State Park:

http://tinyurl.com/35hzwlk

Also, in the town of Honomu, close to the entrance of Akaka Falls, is a bakery and you absolutely need to stop!! Great homemade breads!!

Aloha!!

Pleasanton, Ca
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilo Farmer's Market and then Akaka Falls?

If you can hold out until Sunday, I like the Maku'u Farmer's market much better than Hilo's. Maku'u is right on highway 130 to Pahoa, an interchange south of highway 11 between Volcanic Village and closer to Hilo.

Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilo Farmer's Market and then Akaka Falls?

What time is the Farmer's Market open until on Sunday? Is it near Hilo?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilo Farmer's Market and then Akaka Falls?

FYI. The trail at Akaka Falls is a loop. Take the trail to the right. You will go down a bunch of stairs. The rest of the loop will be pretty gradual. If you go left, you will have to climb the stairs at the end of your hike. Going down stairs is easier than going up.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilo Farmer's Market and then Akaka Falls?

Please do not miss the Hilo Farmers market, it is a wonderful collection of produce, flowers, local made food and gift items. While I like the Maku'u market I would not give up the Hilo one for the other.

Yes doing Akaka after is a great idea, you can pick up some food to bring along with you.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilo Farmer's Market and then Akaka Falls?

Better yet start out really early at Ken's Pancake house then Japanese Gardens, Coconut Island, Farmer's Market, Rainbow Falls, Boiling Pots, scenic bypass road to Hawaiin Tropical Botanical Gardens (allow 2 hours), What's Shakin for fresh fruit smoothie, Honomu town, Akaka Falls and if you have left over time go as far north as Waipio Valley overlook. Maybe Cafe Pesto for dinner on your way back. I've been told the Zoo near Hilo is a nice place as well. When making all of those scenic stops make sure you take all valuable with you in your day pack.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
16 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilo Farmer's Market and then Akaka Falls?

Thank you SO much for the ideas - we are trying to plan one full day in VNP area, and I think we're on the right track!! Keep 'em coming....love to hear everyone's opinions!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilo Farmer's Market and then Akaka Falls?

Out of curiosity, are there vendors at the farmer's market that sell freshly prepared foods besides fresh flowers, fruits, and veggies?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,410 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilo Farmer's Market and then Akaka Falls?

Yes, there are some, mostly local treats. I wouldn't want to give you the idea there are booths with menus like at an outdoor fair here. There is no prep of food licensed at the market, so it's all pre-made, stuff that wraps in saran. Some of the snacks fall into what for me is the adventurous category. I bought this Samoan local thing that turned out to be truly strange to my taste, and not in a good way! But the guy who sold it was so nice, oh well.

The good food tends to sell out, so buy early.

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilo Farmer's Market and then Akaka Falls?

The Hilo farmer's market has a nice local but welcoming vibe. I think you'll enjoy it. I second or third the motion to check out Honomu, very cute little town not far, nice little area to explore.

Get answers to your questions about Hilo