We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying in 1 night, leaving later another

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Flying in 1 night, leaving later another

Hi, I just reserved our airfare at a fantastic price during Easter time. Now our only glitch is we're coming in on a 7:30pm flight to Hilo and we're staying on the other side of the BI at King's Land. I figured we could spend the night in Hilo and head out early and enjoy a day in the VNP and drive over to our destination for the next 6 days. I need a recommendation for a comfortable place to stay in Hilo (there's 5 of us 3 teens) and a driving plan for the sights. We are also leaving out of Hilo the following week at a 8:55 pm flight. I planed to drive from the opposite side earlier before dark to get to the airport. Would love to hear your recommendations PLEASE!!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying in 1 night, leaving later another

First question: do your dates conflict with Merrie Monarch in Hilo? If so, I doubt there is any lodging availability left in Hilo.

Rule #1: Never commit to airfare until you have checked to see if there is a place you can stay ... let's hope for the best. What are your dates? MM opens on Easter, and ends the next weekend.

The easiest place to find at night would be Hilo Hawaiian Hotel. Because there are five of you, you may have to get two rooms. Because of your one night stay, a hotel is your best bet.

Also check out Dolphin Bay, which is more of a motel but has more of the aloha feeling. Again, you may need two rooms.

There are many many topics in the forum on driving sights from one side of the island to another. Just look around, or take a look at a guidebook, for instant answers.

It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Hilo, without stops, but if you do VNP, you won't have any time to sightsee on the way over.

You might want to plan a day trip to VNP later in your stay.

Edited: 17 January 2012, 04:04
Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying in 1 night, leaving later another

There shouldn't be any conflicts we're coming in on Friday leaving on Sat the 7th. There seems to be plenty of availability for Friday night now I'm just trying to make a good choice for the night. I'll book asap! Thanks.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying in 1 night, leaving later another

Good! After I posted, I noticed that you were the one who would be at King's Land on Easter, but it was too late to change my post. The lodgings situation during MM is dire ... people can rent out rooms in their houses that aren't even rentals, and have takers.

Some people will surely come early, so booking soon is well-advised, but of course you don't want to panic and reserve without a good review of your options.

Hilo Hawaiian is a very tired hotel, but you're only going there to sleep and dash out in the morning. As you come out of the airport road, if you turn right on Hwy 11, you go through one light and you are on Banyan Drive, continue around the loop and the HH is there, very easy to find. Get an ocean view for a good chance at a brilliant sunrise over Hilo Bay.

If you go with Dolphin Bay, you have to wend your way across town and it is a dark residential area on the other side of Wailuku River. The added advantage is dubious, and it has no restaurant. Hilo Hawaiian has a restaurant, a breakfast buffet, and is walking distance to Ken's diner.

Another option would be the Seaside, but it is definitely a step down, so be sure you are saving money. It is clean. The jets will go right over your head, but will stop by 11 pm until about 6 in the morning.

No one here recommends Uncle Billy's.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying in 1 night, leaving later another

Hi, we reserved at Dolphin Bay, No problem! Looks like that should be a good option. Now, for the next morning as we head to VNP what sights do you recommend? We aren't rushed but would like to check into the resort at Kings land at a good time. We want to see the major sites at VNP. Also, when we check out of Kings land the following week I'm assuming we should take the opposite route to Hilo? Our flight leaves in the later evening, so we do have most of the day to drive and check out the area from the North side. Thanks.

5. Re: Flying in 1 night, leaving later another

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 10:20