We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain in Hilo today

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rain in Hilo today

The sound right now is so intense. Waves and waves of crashing rain all around the house. Whoosh of wind blowing it sideways. Beating rain on the tin roof. Rain gutter overflow waterfalls.

Drops of water blowing in through any open window.

Mynah birds complaining in their bamboo shelter ...

Stream roaring nearby ...

It softens a little and then WHAM! like turning the taps in the sky on full ... sounds like we will float away. Now I hear it returning ...

Rained hard all day ... a few short lulls in intensity but no clearing.

One face of Hilo in March.

Cats staring glumly through the windows all day, as if their big plans had been spoiled ... resigned now, in the pause zone, paws folded under their chests ... eyes barely flickering ... no point in moving.

Time to make hot tea and spike it ...

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain in Hilo today

KK, It all sounds so beautiful to me!! Wish I were there. We are waiting for rain in L.A. should be here in a few hours.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,739 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain in Hilo today

Aloha,

I think that is why Hilo and the wonderful Hamakua Coast is a gem of the Hawaiian Islands.

Aloha

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain in Hilo today

I love the drama of this kind of rain. It sounds like the house is under a waterfall.

When I go to the west side, I miss the nightly dose of natural irrigation.

Of course it is no fun to be out on the road ... downed trees have closed a road in Puna. But I'm not out on the road, so quite happy listening to the waterfall.

scorchestra -- rain in the Southlands is a blessing.

jet -- yes, I can tell it has a special place in your affection.

:)

btw, this topic might not seem very travel related, but folks recently have asked if it full on rains here or if it's more intermittent ... today it was full out and it might be that way tomorrow.

Right now there's a flood advisory out from Honoka'a to Hilo; the Honoli'i stream is up to ten feet, and the rain gauge at Laupahoehoe was showing a rate on one inch per hour.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain in Hilo today

Ah - how to turn a soggy night into a poetic experience - thank you KK. Each shift, the sounds complete - birds and disgruntled cats.

No rain, no rainbows. Someday my friend.....

Meanwhile we have had a strange yellow orb in the sky for a few days - I will be waving at you from across the channel tomorrow from Maui as we continue to consider our Hilo trip..

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain in Hilo today

Very nice description, KamaainaK! Actually it is reminiscent of prose-poetry.

Thanks for sharing.

6. Re: Rain in Hilo today

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:42