We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain on Big Island

Level Contributor
84 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Rain on Big Island

We are thinking of going to the Big Island for Christmas week, mainly to see the volcano and other natural sights. If we stay on the East Coast, is it likely that it will rain all day every day or is it more likely that it will just shower quickly and then clear up?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain on Big Island

No one can say, because every winter there are some extremely rainy weeks and some sunny weeks, but no one knows how it will distribute from November to March, which are the months we mostly get winter storms.

I recently wrote a long post on Hilo weather here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60583-i630-k51632…

post #2

Also, we do not call it the East Coast. ;-) The east side has a variety of microclimates. Kapoho and Kaloli Point HPP and Kalapana are the driest, but that doesn't mean it's dry there as it is on the lee side of the island. It's DRIER.

Places like Orchidland and Glenwood are the opposite extreme, where it is raining much of the time no matter what time of year it is. Volcano is quite prone to rain as well.

If you care about sunshine, and need sunshine, then don't place all your bets on the east side, because you absolutely could get rained out at Christmas.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain on Big Island

So that future respondents might be of additional assistance, what did you find lacking in the prior attempts to answer a similar question?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k52623…

3. Re: Rain on Big Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 March 2012, 01:35
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain on Big Island

Hilo and Volcano certainly get a lot of rain. Generally it passes quickly and you have bouts of sunshine. Just be prepared for it being wet underfoot and a rain clothing of some sort.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain on Big Island

I wouldn't say that rain generally passes quickly in Hilo, although there are those trade rains that are like that, it's at least as common that it rains for hours, IME, or even days.

Edited: 08 May 2012, 19:40
LA
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain on Big Island

Winter is the rainier season. On the east side, you can expect rain. It may last for hours, or even days. It's winter and that's just the way it is.

The west side is far drier, although it can get showers in winter.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,229 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain on Big Island

I don't know that Hilo EVER dries out. It's a great place to be an orchid, an insect or mold! LOL I would not travel all the way to Hawaii to stay only Hilo in winter -- or ever, in my case. The Kohala area for me, out of the vog, in the sun.

Seattle
Level Contributor
291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain on Big Island

This could be the Seattle in me, but I didn't mind the rain during my day in Hilo recently. I rained quite a bit off and on throughout the day, but it was still warm. With umbrellas we were still able to enjoy the botanical gardens and hike to Akaka Falls. Plus, with more rainfall you have more spectacular water falls to enjoy. It also makes for killer rainbows everywhere.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,640 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain on Big Island

And isn't that funny as I LOVE the rain - especially a tropical rain and was hoping for rain when in Hilo. We had one very brief shower one afternoon - and another early morning I heard it raining, but it had stopped by the time we got up. Virtually every day in Hilo was sunny and clear! We were there in mid-February. Weather is pretty unpredictable. :)

10. Re: Rain on Big Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:18