We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel v Vacation Rental?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel v Vacation Rental?

At the moment, I'm tossing up between Castle Hilo (hotel) or Zen (vacation rental).

Hotel is approximately $500 for the 4 nights vs vacation rental approximately $600 plus the $200 deposit.

Only problem with Zen is that it has one bedroom and I don't really fancy sleeping in the same bed as my sister for 4 nights, but it really is a beautiful looking place.

Which would you prefer?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel v Vacation Rental?

Apples and oranges!

I would look for a rental, but it wouldn't be one where I had to sleep in a bed with my sibling.

Alaska
Level Contributor
53 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel v Vacation Rental?

Hi Vanessa, I would choose the vacation rental. most 1 BR rentals have a pull out sofa for the second guest. stay away from a studio or you'll be in the same boat as a hotel. go to VRBO or a new site i found was flipkey. If there are only 2 in your party its harder to justify the cost other than the conveninece. many 1 BR have 2 bathrooms. you can even use TA to do some research. for rental watch for the minimum stay and the cleaning fees!!!! many time you can negotiate fees the longer you stay. in some instances you get a free noght but it looksl ike your looking for 4 days...

In any event I found rental to be flexible and roomier and could be free parking...

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel v Vacation Rental?

Nuuj, if you check the listing for the rental she's considering, the Zen Luxury Bamboo cottage rental only sleeps two, no pull-out sofa, and it has one bath.

flipkey.com/hilo-vacation-rentals/p230240/

My advice is to look for another rental, but only the OP knows if she can handle sleeping with sister. This rental is itself on a nice rural property, but it is located above a neighborhood with crime-prone apartment buildings (as is the Dolphin Bay). I might be nervous staying there with only two women.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel v Vacation Rental?

Thanks for the insite into the neighbourhood Kamaaina.

After Hilo, will be going to the Kona side for 7 nights. Even harder trying to find something there to suit our needs and budget.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel v Vacation Rental?

I would think you could find a Hilo rental with your budget, one that has separate sleeping options. The hotel is passable though.

The area north of Hilo is very pretty and rural. Between Hilo and Onomea Bay or Pepe'ekeo. Things are well priced there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel v Vacation Rental?

*Insight

Thanks for that. I'm getting frustrated with looking for accommodation. Need to give it a break for a few days then recommence.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel v Vacation Rental?

For $75 per night for two you might consider Akiko's B&B in the sleepy little village of Wailea just north of Hilo and very near Akaka Falls and Honomu town. Its a rustic slice of old Hawaii on one of the remaining portions of the old road (very off the beaten path) Akiko owns several buildings and a garage/gallery). She has several 2 bed accomodations in the Puuhonua House w/ shared kitchen. Bathroom sinks are shared but w/ private showers and toilets.

http://www.akikosbnb.com/accommodations/accom%20types/pu'uhonua.html

The upsides is you will have a gracious host that will serve you a basic early morning breakfast and help you w/ your travel plans and all of the Hamakua Coast sites and Hilo are easy peasy from there. Down sides are it rains allot there and the coqui frogs are hard for some people to tolerate at night and the house is in the middle of all of that, ha.

If you are used to a more bland and sterile hotel I would go w/ the Castle Hilo or look at the Dolphin Bay Hotel has room suite choices as well at a budget price (that location has frog noise as well).

8. Re: Hotel v Vacation Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 01:15