We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Eat Breakfast

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
641 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Eat Breakfast

We were looking for a place to eat breakfast before VNP in the Hilo area or even Volcano House or Pahoa. I saw about Ken's House of Pancakes. Do they serve lunch items at breakfast? I know there is the farmer's market on Saturday morning. Also what are interesting things to see in the Pahoa area? Is it possible to see the lighthouse? Thank you.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Eat Breakfast

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60583-i630-k61324…

Here's a very recent topic on breakfast.

Ken's serves the same menu 24/7 and I think it is online.

I don't k ow if anyone who has mentioned seeing the inside of the Kapoho lighthouse. It will void your rental car contract to take an unpaved road.

Check out the Things to Do link for the Pahoa subforum ...

Maku'u Market on Sunday. Little to do in Pahoa Village itself other than to check out some shops, eat, look at the little museum, more to do in the larger area of lower Puna.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
641 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Eat Breakfast

Can you see the outside of the lighthouse from the road or is it only visible via unpaved road?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Eat Breakfast

I forget whether you can see the lighthouse from where the road starts. It's not the most impressive lighthouse; it's just a framed tower, not like a stone lighthouse.

Here's a good page on it, with some great history.

www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=144

The lava flow of 1960 covered the original road out there, and it's now a true 4WD road, unless something major has changed recently.

Earth
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Eat Breakfast

There are lots of great places to eat breakfast. Ken's is great, open 24 hours a day and from my experience I believe they do serve breakfast during lunch time. The farmers market is awesome too, lots of fresh fruits for really cheap prices. You can check the schedule online, they have a 'big' market on Sat and Wed and a smaller, just food, market, most other days. Sharks Coffee is a nice little place for lunch or breakfast as well. It is on 41 Waianuenue Ave. Verna's, right across from Ken's is a great place to eat (24 hours a day) as well!

Enjoy your trip!

Keaau
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Eat Breakfast

Best place to eat breakfast on the island is Kilauea Lodge, not so great (and fairly expensive) for evening meals but breakfasts are the best and very good value. About 5 minutes drive from Volcanoes NP entrance, in Volcano village.

6. Re: Where to Eat Breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 06:15