We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruising into Hilo any recommendations for day?

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Monroe, Louisiana...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cruising into Hilo any recommendations for day?

We will be arriving in Hilo from cruise ship at 8 am. What would you recommend we do to get the most out of our time there? We are active and like scenery, food and the water. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This will be late April.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruising into Hilo any recommendations for day?

Hi Kelle,

Welcome to TA!

If you enter 'cruise' in the search box just above your post, links to previous threads asking this question will show up.

I would suggest renting a car and exploring on your own ... VNP and Akaka Falls would be my top picks.

You might also want to check the Hawaii forum on Cruise Critic where you can see what others are planning for their port days on their Hawaiian cruises: boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62 (you'll need to register there to post, but you can read the threads without registering ... Cruise Critic is under the same ownership as TA.)

Also on Cruise Critic, check to see if there is a Roll Call for your cruise ... this is where you can meet others who will be on your cruise. Some may be doing private tours and looking for others to join them.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruising into Hilo any recommendations for day?

The most unique thing on The Big Island of Hawaii is Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park. You can rent a car and tour the park yourself. Lots to see.

www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

The east side of the island is not known for great beaches for swimming or snorkeling. .

As above, read all about the other options on Cruise Critic.

You can find better beach access on your other port day options. Including Kona.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,180 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruising into Hilo any recommendations for day?

Kelle - please invest in a good travel guidebook for Hawaii. We generally recommend "Hawaii for Dummies." I say this because ... I fear that you don't know much about Hawaii and could use some help. Yes, I know ... that's what we are here for ... but Volcanoes National Park is THE place for most first-timers to Hilo.

Another good source of information is to look at the excursions offered by your cruiseline. Some visitors would rather take those and leave the planning to the cruiseline ... but others want to rent a car and see the sights on their own. Either approach is cool. Understand that if you don't want to take the cruise excursions, you should read them anyway. They will give you good ideas of your options ... and what is doable within the timeframe you are docked in Hilo.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruising into Hilo any recommendations for day?

These are great replies.

Another forum search that works is

one day ( or day trip)

This will bring up plenty of topics.

Many people don't bother with the subforums like Hilo and use the island forum, so I prefer to search at the next level up. There you can see both the Island of Hawaii forum and the Hilo and VNP subforums.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
307 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruising into Hilo any recommendations for day?

Make a quick visit to the Hilo Public Library. It's unlike any library you'll see and then walk across the street and have a treat at Kosmic Kones.

Monroe, Louisiana...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruising into Hilo any recommendations for day?

Thank you all very much. That was so helpful!

7. Re: Cruising into Hilo any recommendations for day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 05:18