We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freshwater Fishing Around Hilo

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
Freshwater Fishing Around Hilo

I will be in Hilo this August for my honeymoon and would like to spend an afternoon doing some freshwater fly fishing. Most of the fishing info I found online and in previous posts relates to shore or charter fishing but I don't have the equipment for shore fishing. I'm just looking for something simple where I can cast (and ideally catch a fish or two) while my wife reads a book. I found some regulations on the DNR website for the Waiakea Fish Pond and Wailoa River....does anyone know anything about these? Thanks for your time,

Pat

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freshwater Fishing Around Hilo

The fish wouldn't be safe to eat, but it's a very pretty river and lagoon area. The park area can be kind of grungy though.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freshwater Fishing Around Hilo

Next time you refer to something you found online, could you please link it? I found the page. I think it's self-explanatory. It's a regulated fishing area, and there's a long list of restrictions.

Search the web for Wailoa River State Park and you'll find many descriptions, images, and videos on YouTube.

Freshwater fishing is not a huge deal here. We only have two rivers on the whole island; the rest is streams. Lots of streams The main thing that people go for in streams is catching the prawns. There are always guys fishing out of the bay on the Bayfront with regular fishing poles. It's very calm there. Not sure how it would be so different from a river.

Honokaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freshwater Fishing Around Hilo

I don't think you're going to find any freshwater game fish on the big island. I don't know anyone who fly fishes from shore, but there's no reason you can't give it a try. Tokunaga store in Hilo would give you good advise.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Freshwater Fishing Around Hilo

FYI

The reason I said the fish are not safe to eat is that Waiakea Pond has arsenic contamination from a former processing plant where they made canec. The water in Wailoa and Hilo Bay also exceeds EPA levels for enterrococci, nutrients, turbidity. It also has pesticides, herbicides, and other contaminants.

Hilo Bay watershed is pretty to look at but is a hot mess in terms of water quality for a variety of reasons.

Fish for fun but don't eat.

The regulations list goes over the types of fish you would expect to catch there, such as mullet.

5. Re: Freshwater Fishing Around Hilo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 06:16