We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Rental Hawaii Big Island

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire Rental Hawaii Big Island

Are there any car rental firms that are to be avoided on B.I.?

We are looking at renting a car in August - possibly pick up in Hilo and drop off in Kona/

Thanks

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,812 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Rental Hawaii Big Island

Any of the majors are fine. If you have a Costco membership and book the car through them (Alamo), there is often no one-way drop fee. Others swear by discounthawaiicarrental.com

Edited: 21 May 2013, 07:38
Canada
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Rental Hawaii Big Island

Agree, all the Majors are fine...Alamo, Avis, Budget, Hertz, National etc.

Funny thing about those one way drop off fees with a Costco booking. Every time, I have priced it out..

KOA-ITO......No fee

ITO-KOA......Fee

That said, I suspect there are other codes out there that will allow you to get around the extra charge...if not, it is often well worth it to avoid the repeat Island crossover(Fuel, time etc)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,966 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Rental Hawaii Big Island

Yes - I usually book thru either of these companies for my Hawaiian vacations - any island and have never had a problem - usually the best price as well.

http://www.aloharents.com/

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Canby, Oregon
Level Contributor
808 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Rental Hawaii Big Island

Have booked with www.discounthawaiicarrental.com 4 times and they haven't been bested yet. For two weeks in June, with pickup at ITO and drop off at KOA, still almost $200 less for an economy than Costco. Both rentals would be thru Alamo.

I booked in March tho, so don't know how much more it would be now. i know at that time they were less.

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire Rental Hawaii Big Island

Make your reservation, then important to keep checking the rates every few days, especially starting 6 weeks or so before your trip. There are changes all the time; for our trip now (this May), the prices started dropping about 6 weeks out and then varied almost daily--up, down, primary driver only, driver + spouse, etc., etc.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 02:34
6. Re: Car Hire Rental Hawaii Big Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 05:18