We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheapest flights

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Crawford, Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cheapest flights

We are a family of 4 wanting to go to the Big Island for high school graduation trip. We live in Colorado. I am looking for the cheapest way to fly, even if I have to drive and stay a night somewhere to get a better rate than the 950$ out of DIA. Any suggestions?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,778 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheapest flights

Just as a tip, if you want more people to look at your topic, had you said cheapest flights from Colorado or DIA would be better.

msfuzz, who is a DE for Maui and Oahu, is from Colorado and she probably has tips. If she doesnʻt see this, you can PM here about your topic.

Also it is better to use the Island of Hawaiʻi forum rather than Hilo.

Please do look at the Top Questions in that forum for your trip planning.

Welcome to the TA forums! Sorry I have no clue about flights from DIA.

Houston
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheapest flights

I have read (and experience seems to verify) that the best prices will be available 7 weeks prior to travel date. Are you using Kayak or Orbitz for your search? Just keep checking. Good luck!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,785 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheapest flights

I personally disagree with the "7 weeks before" thing. Most people's experience here, and this is also true of my very extensive travel experience, is that there is no rule. 90% of the time I book my travel a good year in advance (or more) and I notice that usually the prices I get on airfare are much better than anything I would have gotten less than two months out, but in no case much more expensive. The best thing to do IMO is get a general idea of what a good price is by looking at a fare calendar and asking people who live in similar places, and then once you get something close to that, book it and don't look back. Also you want to secure your lodging and rental car way in advance when possible, and that's always tricky to do unless you have your flights nailed down. No way would I want to be trying to find a place to stay 6-7 weeks away from a trip to Hawaii, it will really limit your options. Many people book way in advance for the particular condo they want year after year (and a condo is probably the way you'll want to go).

I will say that $950 from Denver (by the way, DEN and not DIA is the airport code) to Kona is really not a bad price at all, especially if it's just the one stop. I see them in the mid- 800s, but that's usually the cheapest, and often with 2+ stops. With most of the search engines like kayak and expedia suggested, you can also search by alternate airports, but that seldom makes a big difference IMO when you're talking about flights to Hawaii from most places on the mainland. The major international hubs like DEN generally (but not always of course) have the best prices.

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: cheapest flights

Hi debbiep066,

I fly fro DIA to Kona frequently. I have a small second home in Waimea.

My best tips are to sign-up for DEN to KOA fare alerts on farecompare.com, cheapOair.com, United Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines (out of Las Vegas). Follow them all on twitter, too, for last minute specials. I've had alerts out of DIA for under $600. You have to be ready to book fast though.

Happy to give you any other tips. I'm getting ready for my 6th trip next week...it's been so cold in Colorado!

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: cheapest flights

Don't know how I always double post!

Edited: 11 December 2013, 04:30
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,785 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheapest flights

You didn't double post.:-)

The difference is the OP doesn't have a second home or car here and will have to book lodging and so doesn't really have the luxury of acting fast, especially during busy times when lodging and rental car availability can be a real roadblock.

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: cheapest flights

You're right SheaG.

Perhaps the OP could still follow my suggestions and gamble for a month for a cheaper airfare. It's crazy how they go up and down day to day. I been flying to the Big Island from Denver for years (this is my 6th visit this year and only 3rd staying at my home) and have often found good fares close to my travel dates. Except for Holidays and Spring Break, I've been able to book rental cars and lodging (on VRBO), within a few months without problems too. Depends on how much you want to gamble.....

Another tip is to book a rental car through Discount Hawaii Rental Cars for a longer range of possible travel dates and then adjust when you know your exact dates.

Rocky Mountain...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cheapest flights

That fare is pretty standard for summer travel to Hawaii from Denver.

Do you live on the Western Slope? Is driving to Las Vegas an option? LAS offers more airline choices: Hawaiian, Alaska and Delta fly LAS to KOA. Their fares are usually more competitive than United's. However, once you factor in fuel costs to and from Las Vegas, meals and hotel rates, it may be more economical to fly out of Denver.

Good luck!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheapest flights

I fly in/out/through DIA frequently. Have loads of visitors from Colorado. Seems most can grab a fare in the low $700s, sometimes lower depending on the time of year. I saw as low as the mid $500s this past fall, but the routing wasn't optimal. With fare alerts you to jump when the fares dip, no debating it. Try alternate airports, like COS or GJT. United always seems to be the highest for whatever reason, at least initiating in Denver. I love the DEN KOA non-stop on Saturdays. To bad they downsized the plane from a widebody. Its almost impossible to get on these days.

This won't help you, but initiating from Kona almost always seems to net me better fares then initiating from DEN. Sometimes breaking up the trip in two separate segments works. The airlines play their games, we play ours.

Related: I'm not optimistic that this AA/US merger will be a postivie thing for Kona airfares.

10. Re: cheapest flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2014, 05:16