We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel or b&b in Hilo for kids

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
65 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel or b&b in Hilo for kids

Hi,

My family and I (2 adults, a 10 yr old and a 3 yr old) will be staying 2 nights in Hilo just after Easter. We are planning on going to volcanoes national park and my husband will have one meeting during that time that will leave me and the kids on our own, without a car, for several hours.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good hotel that is in a convenient location for the kids and I to be able to entertain ourselves and grab some lunch without having use of the car. Would the Castle Hilo Hawaii be good? Do you have any other recommendations? I am looking for convenience and niceness, preferable with a pool, not the cheapest option.

Thank you/mahalo :-)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel or b&b in Hilo for kids

The Hilo Hawaiian is perfectly serviceable if not what I would call "nice". Basically reminiscent of every mediocre airport hotel you've ever stayed at. It's unlikely you'll be using the pool in March, however.

The Shipman house would be a possibility with a well behaved three year old. I've had a couple of different friends and family in the last few months really enjoy their stays at the Inn at Kulaniapia falls. And there are many Volcano lodgings that could be a possibility although with a three year old I can't really recommend any time in VNP.

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
65 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel or b&b in Hilo for kids

Thanks. The 3 yr old has several countries and domestic trips under his belt and is well behaved in public. He's also quite mild mannered by nature.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel or b&b in Hilo for kids

In case I wasn't entirely clear because I was mentioning "behavior" with regard to lodging....VNP for a child that age is not recommended due to the toxic fumes that damage small lungs and overall poor footing and other hazards around the Park. I would hesitate to take a child under the age of five.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel or b&b in Hilo for kids

Could you give the dates?

Right after Easter is Merrie Monarch. I doubt there is a B&B in Hilo that still has availability. But perhaps you are not coming that exact week?

Shipman is our most historic B&B, and has more rules than others, antiques, and so forth. I doubt I would pick it for kids just because I wouldn't want to watch over them to that degree.

Orchid Tree has a suite room, but I doubt they would still be open.

Hilo Hawaiian is probably sold out for MM.

Will wait to hear the dates.

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
65 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel or b&b in Hilo for kids

The dates are April 21-23. Hmmm... I didn't know there was anything going on that week. The dates that were suggested for my husband's meeting were the 21st or 22nd.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 15:24
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel or b&b in Hilo for kids

We've just returned from a trip that included a two night stay at the Hilo Hawaiian. Our party of 4 adults had two bayside view rooms, and we were quite pleased with the rooms. Good sized, very clean, and lots of hanging and drawer space. Two especially nice things about it for a family with kids. You can walk across a small bridge just at the edge of the hotel grounds (make sure you stop along the way and look into the water--lots of fish to see) to a small island with space for the kids to run around on grassy areas as well as a paved path. If this doesn't sound good (kids, islands, water, etc), you are also a very short walk from the Liliuokalani Gardens, (across the street, basically), which is 30 acres of fish-filled ponds, pagodas, half-moon bridges, etc. Again, lots and lots of space, as well as some shade for the kids to burn up some energy while you enjoy your surroundings. The restaurant at the hotel was surprisingly good but if you want something different, there is another hotel, a restaurant and Uncle Billy's store which also sells sandwiches, etc within an easy walk, even for a three year old.

If you can, get a bay view room. Always something going on in the water--stand up paddlers, snorkelers, kayakers, even a large ship coming in now and again. That might be interesting for the kids to watch as well, if you want some room time during the afternoon.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and, with kids, might be a lot easier than a B&B.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel or b&b in Hilo for kids

Your dates are right in the middle of Merrie Monarch, which runs from April 20-26 this year. If you don't already have reservations for accommodations and a rental vehicle, you may well be out of luck. You won't be able to pick and choose, but rather have to take whatever might be available. The Hilo Hawaiian is completely sold out for your dates, I am sure.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel or b&b in Hilo for kids

The Inn at Kulaniapia shows availability for those dates on Kayak for about $200/nt but the rooms aren't large. rental cars may be an issue, I'd check that first.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel or b&b in Hilo for kids

>>> The dates are April 21-23. Hmmm... I didn't know there was anything going on that week. The dates that were suggested for my husband's meeting were the 21st or 22nd.

Of all the luck, sorry to hear that. The Merrie Monarch is a world famous hula festival hosted annually in Hilo. This is the only time of year that Hilo is sold out for lodgings, and by the time of the festival, anything within an hourʻs drive of Hilo will also be sold out.

Re your pool request, the east side hotels do not specialize in pools and have old funky ones. There are some rental houses down the coast that do have pools, but they are out of town.

There are no pools in Volcano rentals, but quite a few have jacuzziʻs. (Itʻs cool up the mountain.)

Let us know what you find in terms of a car.

Hawaii Discount Car Rental is known for excellent pricing.

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
65 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hotel or b&b in Hilo for kids

Thanks everyone. We got a room at the Hilo Seaside Hotel. Hopefully it will be ok. I can't wait to see the festival as well--major bonus! :-) We are actually vacationing on the Kohala side of the island and have had a car booked for months, but don't want to drive back and forth too many times, so no problems with the car.