We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for GREAT Lodging on Hilo Side and Volcano?

Sacramento
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for GREAT Lodging on Hilo Side and Volcano?

I'm in dire need of immediate recommendations for lodging on east side of Big Island. We're arriving Jan. 7! We may stay at Waianuhea in Honukaa the first night , then travel thru Hilo area on way to Volcano Need suggestions for accomodations in/near Hilo and Volcano. We're looking for upscale, rather than budget, suggestions. Any help much appreciated!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for GREAT Lodging on Hilo Side and Volcano?

Tracyliz,

I like the Shipman House. There are no GOOD hotels in Hilo, only passable ones. I have not stayed at, nor checked out the Emerald View, but quite a few contributors on this site have and in Trip Reports it has done well.

There are several in Volcano, the Teapot always seems to do well in reviews.

Most of the “upscale” lodging is on the west side of the island.

Keep in mind Honokaa is about an hour north of Hilo, so if you get in late it will be a DARK drive, and frequently rainy drive.

Good luck and happy travels!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for GREAT Lodging on Hilo Side and Volcano?

echo is more than right.... hilo hotels range from very bad to moderately bad. There are no hotels on the entire eastern and southern coast.

Best lodging is not in Hilo its the Volcano house and Kiluea lodge in Volcano some 27 miles away but they ar not 'Upscale" at all only moderate to nice

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,359 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for GREAT Lodging on Hilo Side and Volcano?

hi, I suggest you peruse the B&B list for Hilo here at TA (there's one for Volcano too):

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60583-c2-Hilo_Island…

Another one not mentioned yet:

Waterfalls Inn is in same location as Emeraldview; this is a historic home from the 20's beautifully restored; however, it's for sale and I don't know the status ... you would need to contact them.

There is a new place called the Hilo Honu on Haili St, which is one of our historic residential areas, close to the Lyman Museum, getting some rave reviews at TA.

Emeraldview, Shipman & Waterfalls are all on Kailulani St. on the Wailuku River, but I believe Shipman is on the other side of the street (not backing up to the river). Is that right, echolynch?

Anyhow, I think you would benefit from going to the link and browsing the photos and reviews. Nothing like photos to find the one that speaks to your taste.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for GREAT Lodging on Hilo Side and Volcano?

Palms Cliff House is the most upscale (about 15 minutes North of Hilo) there, while Chalet Kilauea is the most upscale in Volcano. (Make sure to have dinner at the Lodge at Kilauea, you will not be disappointed. Reservation is a must.)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for GREAT Lodging on Hilo Side and Volcano?

TT,

Oops, I forgot about the Palms Cliff house, never been there, but I have heard good things about it.

KK,

Yup, the Shipman is on the left on Kaiulani, just over the wooden bridge. It is kinda up on a bit of a hill, and there is a mini valley view from the windows.

Good luck and happy travels!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,359 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for GREAT Lodging on Hilo Side and Volcano?

Thanks Echolynch!

Judging by reviews, people have very different experiences of the Palms Cliff House. They like it a lot or they find the atmosphere too cold. My husband and I were very disappointed by it and the front desk person was rude to us and said things that were totally uncalled for. Plus the porch and grounds were over-run by a big private party, which if you hit a party or wedding means you won't be allowed on the lanai which is one of the nicest features.

I like the historic houses myself; they offer a feel of history. Not sure what kind of house Emeraldview is, but Hilo Honu and Waterfalls are vintage and the Shipman is one of the few 19th century buildings left here. The Palms main house is a faux Victorian-ish design built in the last decade, and the rooms are new construction. The interior rooms are just boxes; the corner rooms have bay windows. Not sure why they call them all suites when they are one room with bath, but they do.

The ocean wave sound is wonderful and one of the main appeals to us. The beds are quite comfortable. They provide a large library of DVD's, which is nice if you want that but the sound travels between rooms and you may have to listen to other people's movies. (I don't go on vacation to watch DVD's.) The showers and tubs are really enjoyable there, although it seemed odd they have upscale fixtures and the towels were just standard.

We found the place lacking warmth as an inn, but for a place to sleep while exploring the area it is upscale, just keep in mind it's way out of town and no staff in the evening, so make sure you have everything you need before it gets dark. (Example: I wanted some sugar for an evening cup of tea and it was not to be found, none in the guest lounge or rooms and the kitchen locked up, no one to call, and a 40 minute trip to a store. Why they gave us coffee and no sugar or creamer I don't know).

For dinner, you have to drive the 19 miles into Hilo or else go up to Jolene's Pizza in Honomu. Jolene's is a very friendly lunch spot and I recommend it to anyone who visits Honomu or Akaka Falls. (not what we wanted for a special dinner though).

I haven't stayed at the other B&B's in the area; I can only go by location and reviews with those.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for GREAT Lodging on Hilo Side and Volcano?

KK, I have seen your bitter posts about this subject for a long time here and I can understand how difficult it is to let go. You pay top dollars to stay at a special place and it turns out to be not so special and the owners/managers who could easily rectify and take care of those little problems blame you, the guest instead. I have a place like that in memory and I will never stay there again. Needless to stay, it's hard to post nice things about a place like that after a bad experience and it makes it even more difficult when you read good reviews of the place by others and you know your stay could have been just as nice had it not been to some people who didn't have "customer service" in the vocabulary that day.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for GREAT Lodging on Hilo Side and Volcano?

I haven't stayed there, but Volcano Village Lodge looks nice. www.volcanovillagelodge.com

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,359 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for GREAT Lodging on Hilo Side and Volcano?

hi TT, that's true what you are saying that a bad experience with CS can ruin a stay and make you never want to stay in a place again. And if that's a one time problem it would not be fair to harp on it.

The reason I continue to mention my experience is that numerous reviews on TA touch on the same issues we experienced, and with that many people feeling the same way I don't feel alone. OTOH I recognize that other guests have been happy. So some are very unhappy and some love it, but there are enough unhappy that I don't think it warrants a wholehearted recommendation.

You know how you've changed your opinion of Daniel Thiebaut, which started out so great and now has declined? We felt that the Palms started off great and garnered fabulous reviews but it's not that place any more.

The way they handle the private parties and weddings is very unfair to the room guests. The place is too small. The effect to the room guests is you pay to stay at a quiet low occupancy inn and lounge on the lanai overlooking the ocean, then they close the lanai and relegate you to your room. They didn't even reserve parking so room guests could check in; the party guests had taken everything, even the loading zones, almost to the highway. I think inn guests should have certain basics guaranteed -- parking, use of the lanai and the main lawn in front of the guest rooms, freedom to take a jacuzzi without partygoers checking you out, privacy on your room lanai, not having a loud tour conducted on the lanai next to you ... is it too picky to be bothered by such things?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for GREAT Lodging on Hilo Side and Volcano?

You are right KK and I guess I am lucky I stayed there when it was still good!

Get answers to your questions about Hilo