We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daniel Thiebaut restaurant is now Saffron restaurant

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Daniel Thiebaut restaurant is now Saffron restaurant

I was looking for a restaurant open for lunch on Sunday in Waimea and hoping for one that was nice for a friend, her hubby and her parents. Saffron did a decent job, but more importantly, it was open on Sunday! Whew! Daniel Thiebaut is no more, by the way. Saffron is now in its location instead with its own phone number and website.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daniel Thiebaut restaurant is now Saffron restaurant

Thanks, lasfloras!

Appreciate your TA updates a lot.

I knew Thiebaut's was closed but knew nothing of the new kid on the block.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daniel Thiebaut restaurant is now Saffron restaurant

Thanks, KK, I appreciate your feedback, too!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,698 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daniel Thiebaut restaurant is now Saffron restaurant

I had a really negative experience at Saffron and so have trouble recommending it.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daniel Thiebaut restaurant is now Saffron restaurant

Truth be told, I was only grateful that it was open on Sunday for lunch as I had visitors. I wasn't impressed with the food, but if I try it again, I'll give an update.

vancouver
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daniel Thiebaut restaurant is now Saffron restaurant

This is a shock to hear chef Thiebaut is no longer around. We knew him back in the early 90s when he was a celebrity chef at the then Palm Cafe in Ali Dr in Kona. He was one of the pioneer creators of the hawaii style asian/fusion cusine long before roy yamacucci took fame and raised the fine dining bar set in the hawaiian islands. It is just a shame and if anyone knows where chef Thiebaut whereabouts? We are going to be there the end of month and we just wish to say hello. And how is the new owner of Saffron doing and is there any reviews of the dinner experience?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daniel Thiebaut restaurant is now Saffron restaurant

I have to say that the parking lot often seems empty in the evenings, unfortunately. I have not heard anything else concrete and I do not think that Daniel Thiebaut has anything to do with the new restaurant.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daniel Thiebaut restaurant is now Saffron restaurant

I went to a holiday party in a private room at Saffron. The history of the building is still preserved with all the memorabilia from the past on display. I met the new owner and he is interested in satisfied customers, but I couldn't tell if our food was from the restaurant or catered by a separate outfit.

8. Re: Daniel Thiebaut restaurant is now Saffron restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2015, 00:15