We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo with own private swimming pool ?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
94 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Condo with own private swimming pool ?

We are looking for a 2 bedroom villa / condo in a central location, close to a wonderful beach, with it's own swimming pool. We do not want to stay in a high rise so hoping we can hire a private condo with kitchen facilities, pool etc. We love beautiful beaches and modern uncluttered interiors, budget up to USD$600 per night. All suggestions appreciated as I don't know where to start ! We can visit anytime between July and November this year (for 10 nights).

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo with own private swimming pool ?

Hi, a condo by definition is part of a complex, and will not have a private pool.

Only a house (or villa, if it is high end) may have a private pool.

We do not have high rises on this island. The condos in Kohala are limited to two stories or three (Terraces and Kolea), that I know of, and some are townhouse style with two story interiors. Condos in Kailua Kona may have more floors to the complexes, but most are older and not as nice as what you want anyway.

Please start by reading the Top Question on where to stay in Kona or Kohala.

also look through VRBO and use the filters to try targeting different parameters. You will quickly get a sense of the cost of certain amenities. When you have done the basic research, then come back for feedback on what you have found.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo with own private swimming pool ?

PS. $600 is a good budget, but it will not get you a villa with a private pool that is IN the resort area where the beaches are. You can look under Puako and Wailea Bay. (It is Waialea, but VRBO wrongly spells it Wailea.)

You can also look at Kohala by the Sea, Kohala Estates, and Kohala Ranch. Those subdivisions just to the north of the best beaches (10-20 minutes) have many homes with private pools.

That said, Hawaiʻi is not really a big "pool" destination. The pools are often not heated, cold in the winter (not a problem for your dates except November). The ocean is the big attraction, plus all the other things to do.

You may be thinking of those boutique places found in the South Pacific that may have a small pool for each luxury unit, but we donʻt have those. Generally they build full sized pools here, and the Kohala condo complexes have pools that are large enough to where we donʻt hear complaints about pool crowding. So many people just go off to the beach during the day that itʻs not like Waikiki or Maui where people are fighting over pool chairs at hotels. So you might find that sharing a pool is not so bad. If you can share a pool, you can easily find a great condo for far less than your budget.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo with own private swimming pool ?

You will be able to find a couple of places (think more like private home than traditional condo) for rent at KaMilo in Mauna Lani (on VRBO)...however as KamaainaK said, they are well above $600 a night.

4. Re: Condo with own private swimming pool ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2013, 06:24
Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo with own private swimming pool ?

We rented a lovely free standing condo with private pool in Ka Milo at Mauna Lani. It was under $600 per night. We used Abbey Vacation Rentals.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo with own private swimming pool ?

Just FYI--if you do find a place with a pool, check to see if it is heated. I don't believe that many are on the BI. The condo where we stayed had an unheated pool and no one went in because the water was so cold. The ocean water was nice, but the pool was cold.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo with own private swimming pool ?

http://www.vrbo.com/110357

This might be what you are looking for. It looks really nice to me.

The Villages at Mauna Lani has a few with private pools in your price range.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 17:57
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo with own private swimming pool ?

Champion Ridge at the Mauna Lani has a house with private pool in your price range on vrbo (actually $475/nt, very low for the subdivision), and I like the location.

There are also villas within the resort that front the golf course that all have private pools, I'm not sure what the subdivision is called or of there is a name, but I found a few on vrbo, one was $675 per night but fifth night free beings it within your price range, called Ali'i Villa (within the Mauna Lani).

SorryI can't post links, I'm on my mobile and vrbo makes it difficult to switch between its mobile and full sites to get accurate links.

9. Re: Condo with own private swimming pool ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2015, 19:15