We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian

ohio
Level Contributor
266 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vegetarian

Looking to drive up north from ML condos and come back through Waimea for an early dinner before catching flight home on Sunday. We need ideas of where to stop and eat since one is a vegetarian. Also if we leave ML and stop on the way to Hawi, what time should we head back towards Waimea for dinner(have to leave ML for airport by 6:00pm).

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,612 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian

Basically every good restaurant in Waimea has excellent vegetarian options. But I don't quite understand your timing. Most dinner places don't open until 5 or 530pm for dinner so you'll be a little bit in limbo if you're trying to leave the Mauna Lani by 6pm which would have you leaving Waimea by 530pm. I guess basically I would want to hear your overall plan. If you're flying out on a red eye, I would suggest not trying to do Hawi and Waimea that day and instead look at an early dinner at the Beach tree at the Four Seasons which is a few minutes from the airport and has a myriad of vegetarian options. Plus you could enjoy sunset there.

Just to answer the question, Village Burger has a great mushroom burger, Red Water, Merriman's, Pau, and Solimene's are all solid choices in Waimea with vegetarian offerings.

ohio
Level Contributor
266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian

Thanks Shea, we are staying two more weeks. We have friends who have not been to BI before and are staying in Kona. They have a 8:30 pm flight and are coming north to see sights. Our plan is to drive north and show them sights(Hawi) and come back thru Waimia and have late lunch early dinner for them before heading back towards airport. Nothing expensive, not picky eaters just vegetarians. We are leaving Mauna lani around 11:30am for sight seeing. Thanks

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,612 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian

Ok. Well, it's a little tricky. But basically I think you are looking at trying to get to Waimea by 4pm. There's about 2 hours of driving time between Mauna Lani and Waimea if you go up the coast road and back down Kohala Mountain Road. So that leaves you a couple of hours for sites. Puukohola? Lapakahi? Hawi? Pololu? You'll have to make some choices.

If you get to Waimea by 4pm you could eat at Pau or Village Burger. Or alternatively you could eat at Hawi. There's a new place up there called the Sweet Potato Kirchen which is vegetarian and getting good reviews.

ohio
Level Contributor
266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian

Are there places in Hawi open on Sunday,the sweet potato kitchen?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,612 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian

Apparently Sweet Potato Kitchen is not open Sundays. Sushi Rock in Hawi could be an option, they're open from 12-3pm. Bamboo Restaurant there is open until 2:30pm for lunch. Pau in Waimea is open 11-8pm.

6. Re: Vegetarian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2017, 20:17