We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Grass Shack

Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
192 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Little Grass Shack

Aloha,

Does or did the Little Grass Shack in Kealakekua, Hawaii really exist? I'm thinking back to a trip I made with my mother on the Big Island in 1994 and thought I saw it on while passing by on a tour bus. The song today is very meaningful as my 88 year old mother with advanced dementia sings it all the time. If you ask her too many questions, she just starts singing it. If you ask her to say a prayer, she sings it. If you ask her if she has anything to say, you guessed it. She starts singing it.

I know some people who moved to the big island recently who would take a photo of it for me. They looked for it but can't find it. If anyone has any information I certainly would appreciate it. Mahalo.

Kealakekua, Hawaii
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Grass Shack

It has reopened and is just south of the Konawaena High school road on the highway makai (ocean side) of the road. Not sure the hours but have seen them open on the weekend.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Grass Shack

If you listen to the lyrics of the song than you will know that the "Grass Shack" which is a souvenir shop on the highway, is not what the song is about.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Grass Shack

You can find a history and picture of the one they built here

…erols.com/danflan/sterling/dfhistory.html

users.erols.com/danflan/sterling/grass_sh.jpg

The more modern one is here but not grass

…googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/…

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Grass Shack

I think the OP posted this as a duplicate topic back in April. I remember that this was already answered. The one MLangberg just bumped (why I don't know) was the duplicate that we succeeded in not replying to so as to keep it all in one topic. Oh well.

The souvenir shop is named after the song, not the other way around.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Grass Shack

I notice he's a first time poster......Maybe he bumped it to promote the gift shop ??

Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
192 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little Grass Shack

I'm the original poster from April. I appreciate all the replies. I do understand the song better now and that the original building was a gift shop. I'm from Louisiana and saw this "shack" in 1994 during a trip. Thanks to all.

7. Re: Little Grass Shack

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Kealakekua