We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta dive or snorkel?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Manta dive or snorkel?

Aloha, would love to hear some advice regarding whether the dive with the manta rays is worth it or whether to go with snorkelling. The first company I enquired with for the dive required experience in night diving which we don't have, but perhaps there are others that don't require this. For those who have done both, which did you prefer and why? Thanks heaps!

7 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,473 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta dive or snorkel?

I've done both many times, and there is no qualitative difference between the two. If anything, I find the snorkel more relaxing. you will see mantas up close with either. I like Jack's for professionalism, comfortable boat, and good rental equipment.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta dive or snorkel?

Thanks SheaG

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta dive or snorkel?

We have been out 3 times on manta snorkel but have never dove. From what I saw I would snorkel even if I did dive. Like Shea mentioned it's more relaxing just floating and enjoying the show. Plus the divers sitting on the bottom all had to crane their necks up to watch. It just didn't seem comfortable. Plus they always seem to have lights down there and I take photos and movies so I need both hands. I have seen here where some will say the divers get closer and again like Shea mentioned they get equally close to both. I have been belly to belly less than a foot away from two 9ft. Manta's, Reese and Timbuktu. Will never forget it. Can't wait to get back out there in March. We are going to try the airport site this trip.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta dive or snorkel?

Take a look at this astonishing video of a Manta Ray night dive with a dolphin.

…sfgate.com/hawaii/…

United States
Level Contributor
770 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta dive or snorkel?

Diving is definitely the way to go according to my sister who's done both. She actually wants to drag me back to Hawaii just for the dive even though I've already done the snorkel. She tells me it's "not the same" and says it's like another world at the bottom with all the lights and bubbles surrounding you.

Try Jack's dive locker like Shea suggested. I don't think my sister had done any diving outside her cert. dives before she went on the night dive with them (though she did a day dive with them on the same day).

Edited: 22 January 2013, 02:24
Dresher...
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manta dive or snorkel?

I hear talk about the Airport site. Which outfits go there? Jacks? SB?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,473 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manta dive or snorkel?

I no longer recommend Jack's as they've entered the dolphin chasing business. Kona Dive Company, Kona Honu are both good options for the airport site.

Reply to: Manta dive or snorkel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted