We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo's in the Keauhou Area

california
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Condo's in the Keauhou Area

Does anyone have any suggestions for condo's in the Keauhau Area. We are going from March 31-April 6 and our budget is about $150 at the top end of what we want to pay. I realize that this may limit my options, but curious what might be available for that price. Also, want to stay on the 2nd floor and away from street noise.

Thank you so much for you help. These forums have been so helpful in the past!!

Katherine

Anelakai Adventures
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Night Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Eka Canoe Adventures
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Sea Paradise Tours
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo's in the Keauhou Area

We enjoyed our stay in a spacious unit at Kanaloa at Kona. Our unit (#701) was ground floor, but very quiet overlooking a large grassy area. (perhaps a golf course, but never saw anyone playing). There was an adult pool right across the parking lot, and a lovely oceanfront pool just down the pathway. The unit had tasteful furnishings and central A/C. This unit did not have an ocean view, which helped make it very affordable.

We liked the peaceful Keauhou area better than places we had stayed closer to Kailua-Kona. The shopping center is smallish, but pleasant with a good grocery store and some nice, casual places to eat, drink, and shop.

vancouver
Level Contributor
96 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo's in the Keauhou Area

Kona Coast Resort?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo's in the Keauhou Area

We spent a week in a nice condo at Keauhou Surf & Racquet Club, just downhill from the shopping center Barbara mentioned. Booked it through this site: http://tinyurl.com/m88pxe7 . If you can find one within your budget, reserve a unit in one of the ocean front buildings (1 - 5), which are more exposed to the trade-winds, because I don't believe any of the units in the complex have air conditioning.

california
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo's in the Keauhou Area

Thank you for responding. Have been exploring that complex and it looks promising. We want to be on an upper floor but I have heard there is no elevator. Is this true?

Thanks for your help!

Katherine

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo's in the Keauhou Area

If you're asking about the Surf & Racquet Club, it's true that buildings 1 - 5, all 3-story, have no elevators. Buildings behind those may have 4 stories (can't recall), but I don't believe they have elevators either. You're wise in looking for something 2nd or 3rd floor in buildings 1 - 5. It appeared that ground floor units were potentially exposed to high surf during winter months, and maybe into spring(?).

Edited: 10 January 2014, 21:07
california
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo's in the Keauhou Area

Thanks! Through the rental company you suggested, We have found a townhouse in this complex that looks promising. It is #178 and is an end unit. Looks good, in our price range and the reviews are generally good. Wondering if you have been to this complex and have any opinion about the town homes.

Trip Advisor People Like you are SO wonderful and helpful. I have been looking and looking and with your help, my search may be over.

Thanks again!

Katherine

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,125 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo's in the Keauhou Area

Is there a reason you want to stay in Keauhou?

Kanaloa is in a puka so unless you're direct oceanfront it can be very hot there, although Spring won't be nearly as bad as summer.

Make sure if you are looking at Keauhou Surf and Racquet Club that you are getting one of the newer buildings. I can't remember which numbers they are offhand, but if you do a forum search they'll pop up.

Many people like staying in Keauhou and you definitely won't have the street noise you'd have with many of the complexes in Kailua Kona, but I find the location very inconvenient. At least staying in some areas in Kailua Kona there's the ability to walk into town. But as long as you know what you're getting and the area works for you, I think the KSRC is a good option.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo's in the Keauhou Area

I think the "newer buildings" Shea is referring to are those numbered 1 - 9 here: http://tinyurl.com/l58mwbh . My impression of the townhouses from just walking by them was that they were older, not as well maintained, and maybe of lesser construction quality. Can't speak for what they might look like on the inside. I see the one you're thinking about has A/C on the ground floor, so that's at least one plus as compared to the unit in building 5 where we stayed. But sorry I can't be of more help.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,125 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo's in the Keauhou Area

Right the townhouses were some of the very first condos built in the area and are therefore quite old with a lot of maintenance issues. The oceanfront buildings are the way to go although many of the unites have rust issues .... Common for oceanfront properties of course.

california
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo's in the Keauhou Area

Your message actually was helpful. I have just one more question. I think you mentioned that you walked by the townhouses. I am curious just how much foot traffic there is in front of the townhouses. It is a main walkway for people out taking a stroll? Curious about the sense of privacy we will have in the townhouse and sitting out on the patio.

Thanks again!!!

Katherine