We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we going to melt without A/C?

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Topic
Are we going to melt without A/C?

HI All,

We leave tomorrow for our honeymoon and usually, I have never had this concern (we have gone to Hawaii in November and June previously), but I have been checking the weather recently and noted how warm it has been recently. Do you think we are going to have a hard time sleeping and such without A/C in our condo (has fans) or am I worrying about nothing? Just want to prepare myself for the reality. Thanks!

17 replies to this topic
Kona
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are we going to melt without A/C?

Congratulations on your wedding!

Where will you be staying?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,946 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are we going to melt without A/C?

You're posting in the Keauhou subforum so I'm assuming that's where you're staying? . If you're not direct oceanfront and you're staying in Keauhou or Kailua Kona then yes probably you will be very hot. It's been stifling there. But it does depend somewhat on complex and positioning of the condo unit. I assume however that there's nothing you can do about it now? You can check it out and if needed buy some floor fans at Target or Costco.

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are we going to melt without A/C?

Yes, I am staying Keauhou at the Keauhou Resort Condos. Not sure about the positions, but I know the condo has ceiling fans as well as maybe one or two floor units as well.....Does the rain help at all with the cooling (as we wont be near the ocean to get the breeze) as I have noticed some storms recently, just out of curiosity.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,946 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are we going to melt without A/C?

No. If it's cloudy and/or rainy it just tends to be extremely humid. Hopefully you're not ground floor or will otherwise have some airflow. Those aren't in a great location for air flow but it kind of depends on the unit.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 21:19
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,963 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are we going to melt without A/C?

I don't have trouble sleeping so much as being inside during the day and until 10 PM or so when it cools down enough to be pleasant. A condo is worse than a house though, and Keauhou is probably the worst on the island.

As for fans, it depends on the ceiling fan. A $150 and up fan will push enough air to have a cooling effect, but a $79 generic fan won't be worth much at all. Do you have the VRBO # or some link handy?

You may well want to buy a floor fan, but the lateral air push doesn't help like a good ceiling fan. The only thing that will help much is a powerful one like a Vornado.

Sorry to be blunt, but I would not stay in a condo in August without A/C. I mean, it's a honeymoon and is supposed to be awesome and not uncomfortable.

I'd probably look into something like getting a room at a nice hotel for the last night or two just to bump up the enjoyment factor.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,486 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are we going to melt without A/C?

Aloha,

The rain creates steam, so no, it doesn't help.

Great suggestions above.

Did you have A/C on your other trips? Which island(s) have you visited? Did you use/miss a/c?

Pack your sleep aids. Keep ice water by your bed. Buy a good fan. Call some of the hotels to check prices and availability so you know your options if the heat gets to be too much for you.

Even cheap hotels will likely have A/C, so keep them in mind if budget is an issue.

Good luck,

Aloha

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Are we going to melt without A/C?

I hope not, but get extra fans.

No air is not a good idea for a honeymoon.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are we going to melt without A/C?

Prepare to go out and buy additional fans or stay elsewhere. Sorry. Wish we could have had this conversation before you booked. If you can find or create a breeze, you might drag your bedding out on the floor. Do NOT sleep with unlocked doors/sliders unless you want to explain a burglary to the police and to your insurance agents.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,946 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are we going to melt without A/C?

Oh yeah, good advice from ChiSue. Also don't leave windows and doors - even screened - open if you're not there. Double check before you leave to make sure everything is closed and locked. Security has been a problem in condos in the area.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,486 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Are we going to melt without A/C?

Aloha, ladies,

As a matter of fact, you did have this conversation before she booked.

KK advised:

"I do feel concerned by your choice of base, because I would never want to stay in voggy Keauhou, especially if not oceanfront, in late August, and I would not pick it as a honeymoon. There, said my piece, either you might want to change it or you can go with it."

This was back in June.

Aloha

Reply to: Are we going to melt without A/C?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted