We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pahoa Mahi Oli' Oli vacation rental

Which Pahoa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
9 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Pahoa Mahi Oli' Oli vacation rental

Is anyone familiar with this vacation rental or the area? It is on Pohoiki Road outside of Pahoa. We're looking for a place with views and privacy, but not too remote for 3 nights at the beginning of Feb. 2010. This seems like it would be a good option. This is our 3rd visit to the Hilo/Volcano area so we will be doing some exploring but mostly relaxing.

Any insight or other suggestions? Thanks.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pahoa Mahi Oli' Oli vacation rental

Prices look pretty good for that area but I've never stayed there. I'll bump it up and hopefully someone will come back at you.

http://www.flipkey.com/properties/view/148335/mahi+olioli/

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pahoa Mahi Oli' Oli vacation rental

I would consider this remote.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pahoa Mahi Oli' Oli vacation rental

It's not in Pahoa but further down the road, and I agree with AA, it certainly is remote. You will be about an hour driving from Hilo.

Chicago
Level Contributor
9 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pahoa Mahi Oli' Oli vacation rental

Thanks for your replies!

Can you tell me how long the drive to Pahoa is? We would probably do dinner there 1 or 2 nights.

Other than that, this time we just want to do the lava viewing at Kalapana(?), maybe check out the coast/ocean a bit and relax. So remote is OK in terms of getting around. We like our privacy but we don't want to feel uneasy.

Thanks again.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pahoa Mahi Oli' Oli vacation rental

Drive to Kalapana is roughly 35 miles from Hilo (allow at least an hour).

Drive to Pahoa is roughtly 20 miles from Hilo. Avoid afternoon rush hour heading south into Pahoa or you'll be sitting in a parking lot. So if you do a scenic drive from Hilo thru Pahoa area go thru Pahoa area by 3:00pm to avoid rush hour traffic during the week.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pahoa Mahi Oli' Oli vacation rental

BTW if you stay at the place you are thinking drive to Kalapana or Pahoa is in the 10 to 15 minutes range. Loop route thru Lava Tree then down the coast line is really scenic especially the tree tunnels.

7. Re: Pahoa Mahi Oli' Oli vacation rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2010, 06:16