We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

neighborhoods, how safe?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
neighborhoods, how safe?

Pahoa area. One month vacation rental. $ less than $2k / month including taxes. Are there some "estates" or "paradises" that are less safe than others?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

Yes there are.

Pahoa is the post office for a huge area. We cannot help you without knowing at minimum the subdivision the rental is in, and preferable the street it is on.

To explain all about Puna (where Pahoa is located) would require a whole lot of writing, so please narrow it down for us.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,099 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

We once rented a beautiful house above Keauhou for a month. This was in a newer, gated community, 2 master suites, garage. Found it through a realtor. I think the owner was just glad to get some income.

Mentioned in this post
Keauhou
Keauhou
Island of Hawaii, HI
3. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 May 2011, 21:35
Edited: 17 May 2011, 21:35
4. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 August 2013, 06:35
5. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

Removed on: 18 May 2011, 00:05
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,099 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

Ah, Dan, what would we DO without ya'? lol (Sending a big 'Dinah Shore' *smack* to you.)

I especially love the witless, er, witness protection dig.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

Really Dan? I thought the witsec folks were in Albuquerque. ;-)

I would say more fugitives from justice and others who want to drop off the radar than folks personally cared for by the marshall service, but I have no stats for that.

Seriously, there are lots of really nice people in Pahoa area, but the village itself is kinda run down, there are a lot of horrendous unpaved roads, there is a fairly high amount of property crime, there are many unleashed and poorly domesticated dogs roaming the streets of some subdivisions, and most has no County water. There are lots of interesting land uses going on because it is ag land and you will see such things as fighting rooster farms mixed in with nice houses.

Most of all, there is no truly clean and safe place to get in the water that isn't three hours drive from there! So do your homework well.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

"A place of VERY divergent peoples, of hippies, druggies , gay, low income, to vacationing real estate power brokers from Kona...A place not over run by tourists in the least and a good 3 hours drive to a nice beach."

Dan, you didn't think I let you get away with these, did you? :):):) Lets make it clear, there are some really nice areas in Puna and I'm one of those from Kona that has a vacation home there. Kehena Beach is about 15 minutes from my house, the new Kalapana black sand beach is about 30 minutes, but I can go the other way too and be at Punalu'u in less than an hour. (It would be more for those not familiar with the area, but I know the short cut through Ainaloa and Hawaiian Acres.)

Mentioned in this post
Kalapana
Kalapana
Island of Hawaii, HI
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

Kamaiina K:

Thank u for replying.

I like the Pahoa area b/c of proximity to Kapoho Tide Pools, Volcano, Hilo. The town of Pahoa doesn't impress me. The Sunday farmer's market does.

Yes u r right about "clean,safe beaches" Nearest one is Honomalino at Miloli'i.

Good neighborhood? Do u have an opinion about Kaho'olawe Circle in Nanawale Estates? We're thinking of renting a house there for one month.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Kapoho Tide Pools
Kapoho Tide Pools
734 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
cmd
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
522 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

I have only driven through Nanawale Estates, but not stayed there. In my opinion they need to remove "Estates" from their name. I'll let the residents answer whether or not it's a good idea to stay there, but here are a couple of good websites that provide pretty interesting reading about the various subdivisions in Puna. Just search for Nanawale Estates.

www.punaweb.org/forum/topic.asp…

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/

Also, use googlemaps.com and go to street view. It's not available for Kaho'olawe Circle, but if you drag the person icon on Flower Street, you'll get an idea of what you are getting yourself into.