We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

neighborhoods, how safe?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
neighborhoods, how safe?

Pahoa area. One month vacation rental. $ less than $2k / month including taxes. Are there some "estates" or "paradises" that are less safe than others?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

As a side note, the way many residents there deal with crime is to have guard dogs. Lots of guard dogs. There are also packs of pig hunting dogs. A lot of dogs are not well treated, and are allowed to roam. This the issue TJ mentioned.

Vacation rentals do not come with guard dogs! B&B's might. That makes vaca rentals vulnerable.

Did you know that there are only five police officers on duty to cover Puna district (per shift)? Five. Compare to Hilo, where if there's a minor traffic stop, 3 or 4 police cars show up out of boredom. In Puna you can wait an hour or more for anyone to come.

Also, there are lots of drivers in Puna who haven't had licenses in years after losing them for whatever reason, repeat DUI's for example.

hawaii247.com/2011/…

This happened TODAY. A visitor was killed.

"The driver of the Toyota,.... was arrested on suspicion of negligent homicide, negligent injury, operating a vehicle under the influence of an intoxicant, no operator’s license and no insurance." Typical ...

Look, it can be fabulous to stay there, but if you think you are not in a different world from Mauna Lani Resort or Waikoloa Beach Resort or Keauhou, then you are not thoroughly informed. People romanticize the old Hawai'i thing, not realizing how many ice addicts are in the mix.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keauhou
Keauhou
Island of Hawaii, HI
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

to who ever wrote about the are BC ( before christ) I dont thing there was any issue with the area.

I do start my day wut a cyp of coffee and watch the bumper to bumper on the H1/NI i Oahu and finis with a newspaper read on who has gone missing in Puna and the latest court cases from there.

Having moved from 30 years in public safety in greater LA. socio-dynamic.... if makes me feel like I am so happy NOT to live in Hawaiis "Compton."

If its cheap....there is a reason.

Chicago.....sorry about the missing H ..... but Ya' got my drift.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

Aloha,

Tragic.

I see there was road rage incident today as well.

I would take the sage advice of KK and the DEs who live on the Island of Hawaii as to safe areas and lodging recommendations. Getting "off the beaten path" so to speak is not such a good idea on the IofH. Safety is most important.

Have a happy vacation.

Aloha

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

Thank you, jet :)

I want to try to make something clear.

I would never say that you shouldn't spend time in Puna, you or anyone. I am only saying to do a little homework on the location, and have some awareness that it is not all safe and watched over like the resort areas on the west side.

Kapoho is a pretty great place. It has good weather, great sunrises, ocean views, and fresh air, and the tide pools. Champagne pond is questionable as to water purity. The tide pools and the Champagne pond should not be confused with each other.

There are many semi off the beaten path rentals that are quite wonderful, but perhaps better suited for a repeat visitor. Off off the beaten path might put you in proximity to some real dirtbags who do not practice aloha ... so read up and make good informed choices.

Don't turn away from Puna based on anything I say. That is NOT my intent.

Mentioned in this post
Kapoho
Kapoho
Island of Hawaii, HI
cmd
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
522 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

TT - I'm sure you are correct about removing the "Estates" from all of the subdivisions in Puna. I came across information about cheap lots in Nanawale Estates back in 2006 (they were running around $8-9K back then!) and thought that I would take a look while on vacation. After driving through the front part of the Subdivision (with beat up old houses) and to the back side along unpaved side streets with nothing but jungle, bugs, etc. searching for certain lots, I decided it wasn't for me!

To the OP and others considering staying in Puna, despite my (as a visitor) opinion about Nanawale Estates, I really enjoyed my time in the Puna District and think it's worthy of at least a visit for most coming to the BI. It really has some great sights and places to visit (Kapoho tide pools, the old Red Road, Lava Tree SP, new black sand beach at Kaimu, etc) In fact, I plan to revisit the area later this year.

Mentioned in this post
Kapoho
Kapoho
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kaimu
Kaimu
Island of Hawaii, HI
Toledo, Oregon
5 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

I am looking into this address at Pahoa - 14-3314 Alii Rd

If you can own or is this land by lease only, is there water and electricity, how far to the nearest beach, is this close to the volcano and need to worry about lava flow, is someone livng there, there shouldn't be............is this a bad neighborhood, how far from Hilo and also Kona?

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
LA
Level Contributor
10,988 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

Best to start you own thread on this, Deb W. This is likely to get lost tacked onto the end of a 7-month old thread

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

TA doesn't allow talk about real estate. City-data is a good place, and of course Punaweb.

Toledo, Oregon
5 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

Thank you for letting me know.........but, I don't know how to do that......not the greatest when it comes to computer things.......haven't even put pictures on mine before! : (

Toledo, Oregon
5 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: neighborhoods, how safe?

Thank you for letting me know.........I thought you could when I read someone else said they needed to know more about where they were looking....maybe my questions are too specific.

thank you again