We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

general questions about Volcanos National Park

Georgia
Level Contributor
72 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
general questions about Volcanos National Park

What airport should we fly into if we want to spend time at VNP? Our plan is to rent a car for travel in August. We are not interested in the beach scene, or the touristy stuff.

What are best places to stay? Is the area I am seeing labeled as Volcanos, Hawaii, a town, or an area, or what?

I see one hotel inside the park. It appears to be an older property that has been restored. I think there are only 33 or so rooms. Anybody have comments about staying there? Our experiences with the older properties in National Parks in the Western Part of the US have not been satisfactory.

We enjoy hiking very much and plan to do as much as possible. Are there books/tour guides that anyone has used that we should consider? Any that we should avoid?

Lots of questions, but we are just starting our preparation for the trip. Thanks if you answer only one or two of them, or if you answer all of them. I appreciate it very much.

Edited: 29 December 2016, 01:16
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
15 replies to this topic
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,866 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: general questions about Volcanos National Park

You would fly into Hilo for closest airport to VNP.

I think the best website for VNP is the national park website - lists all the hikes, etc.:

https://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

How many days do you have? What is your lodging budget? Lots of great cottages in the Volcano area. :)

Edited: 29 December 2016, 01:28
Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Georgia
Level Contributor
72 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: general questions about Volcanos National Park

Thanks.

We have up to five days for hiking, sightseeing, etc.

Hotel prices are rarely anything that we consider when traveling. We don't go "hog wild" but will not necessarily select the cheapest place available. There are four adults, and we generally get a suite with two bedrooms or two rooms.

I have briefly checked the NP web site, and recall hikes discussed, but I did not look at it in length. Will check it again, of course.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: general questions about Volcanos National Park

You are better off staying in a VRBO. There are plenty of options in Volcano Village.

Mentioned in this post
Volcano Village Lodge
Volcano Village Lodge
734 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Georgia
Level Contributor
72 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: general questions about Volcanos National Park

More information. We prefer to fly Alaska Air. They apparently serve Kauai, Kona, Maui, and Oahu. Which of those cities is nearest/easiest to get to? Our starting city is Atlanta, but everything there passes through Seattle.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,866 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: general questions about Volcanos National Park

Are you flying all the way to Hawaii for only 5 days?

Then Kona would be your choice for the Island of Hawaii.

Edited: 29 December 2016, 02:05
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Georgia
Level Contributor
72 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: general questions about Volcanos National Park

Five days. Yes. Only interested in VNP.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: general questions about Volcanos National Park

KOA airport is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from VNP, whereas Hilo airport is only about 30 minutes. You might be better off flying into Honolulu and then taking an interisland flight to Hilo.

Five days is way too long for most people just to visit VNP unless you're really into overnight backcountry hiking? You can see the major highlights of the Park and do a few hikes and walks in one full day.

Also, if seeing active lava is your primary interest, be aware that there are years that go by where there is zero accessible lava at all. There's no way to know until days before what, if any, you'll be able to see.

Volcano House within the Park is overpriced and mediocre but has a nice crater view. There are more than a hundred other lodging options within a ten minute radius. Mostly vacation rentals, but some nice inns, like Kilauea Lodge.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Kilauea Lodge
Kilauea Lodge
1,163 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: general questions about Volcanos National Park

Meant to add, Volcano Village is a small town where all of the vacation rentals are other than the one hotel inside the Park. It's right next to the Park. It's basically just houses, a few inns, a handful of restaurants.

You don't need books or a guide for VNP, the Rangers and visitors information center has everything you need to plan your visit once you arrive. The exception is if you are intending, as I mention, multi day back country trips where you might want to pick up a more extensive trail map like the one National Geographic puts out. The visitors center has books, maps and other resources.

https:/…1566953294

Mentioned in this post
Volcano Village Lodge
Volcano Village Lodge
734 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Georgia
Level Contributor
72 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: general questions about Volcanos National Park

Thanks. Good to know.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,498 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: general questions about Volcanos National Park

I think you have some misconceptions of what this island looks like.

Re not being interested in touristy stuff: Most of the people in VNP will be tourists, as may be expected of a national park. But what does touristy mean to you?

There is not much of a beach "scene," here. Waikiki or Ka'anapali are beach scenes, people scenes. Much wonderful hiking is on the shoreline. I can't imagine coming to a Hawaiian island and not being interested in seeing the magnificent ocean up close.

In August, it's very hot hiking away from the shoreline unless you are at elevation like the upper VNP. I would encourage you to look at some shoreline hiking. Also run a search for Ala Kahakai trail.

Check out www.bigislandhikes.com too.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
Reply to: general questions about Volcanos National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted