We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Dinner in Volcano....

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
212 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Nice Dinner in Volcano....

For a nice family dinner in the Volcano area (we're staying just one night), would you opt for

(a) Kilauea Lodge

(b) Volcano House

(c) none of the above

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Dinner in Volcano....

We've always had great dinners at the Kilauea Lodge.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Dinner in Volcano....

Kilauea Lodge is by far the best food in Volcano and the restaurant is charming. Volcano House ("The Rim") of course has the view of Halemaumau. The food is inconsistent and expensive.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,585 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Dinner in Volcano....

Kilauea Lodge, for sure.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Dinner in Volcano....

Kilauea Lodge has a lot going for it, although I don't personally love the menu. But that's because I don't have any interest in eating game meats, so there's usually one thing I might want to order. If you like more unusual meats in keeping with a hunting lodge theme, then you'll likely love it.

Volcano House service and food was awful my last meal there, which was for lunch. It was unacceptably bad. I understand that it has pleased other people.

We usually stop at Thai Thai. It's somewhat overpriced compared to Hilo Thai food, but it was good and lots of choices I like. Everything in Volcano costs more than in Hilo IME.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Dinner in Volcano....

KK, there really aren't a lot of game or unusual meats on the menu at Kilauea Lodge anymore except as specials when I occasionally see venison. They usually have a duck, lamb, and steak, but it's really pretty diverse. I always find plenty on there even though I've pretty much stopped eating red meat. There are several chicken and fish/seafood dishes on the menu and I've even gone all vegetarian there with their brie cheese appetizer which I like, an eggplant marinara, and baked mushrooms.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Dinner in Volcano....

I appreciate your trying to help me, Shea. Sadly for me, I don't eat venison, lamb, duck, rabbit, brie, or eggplant. At all. And I get so much chicken at home that it's not special enough to order when I eat out. Also I can't stand any fishy taste in fish, and they say it's not but then it is. And I don't order steak either.

I DO like mushrooms in smallish doses. 😂

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Dinner in Volcano....

We really enjoyed Ohelo Cafe. Took our kids and grandkids to dinner there and the food and service was very good.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice Dinner in Volcano....

If I had to choose between just the two I would pick Kilauea Lodge but go really early or if after Jaggar Museum later in the evening make reservations.

Depends on what you mean by "nice meal". Kilauea Lodge has a lot going for it . I did try it once for pupu's & cocktails. The ambience/service is excellent. Crab cakes were boring and home made soup flavor not appealing. Dinner salad was good. The Passion Fruit margarita was best I have ever had.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice Dinner in Volcano....

I also really like Ohelo, but the service and ambiance is a notch below Kilauea Lodge, IMO. Even by Hawaii standards, it is often slllloooooowwwwww, and I am completely used to slow service and it seldom if ever bothers me anymore. But it can be at borderline unacceptable levels there (waiting 20-30 minutes for a server to even come to the table initially, for instance). The location used to be Kiawe Kitchen which had the same exact problem. Really good food, but insanely slow and sometimes inattentive (but always friendly) service. I'm not sure if the owners/management/staff are the same, but it sure does seem like it since the very good menu and quality is similar, as are the problems.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice Dinner in Volcano....

LOL

I have waited 45 minutes at Kilauea Lodge for any water or liquid at breakfast, let alone coffee, but it was Mother's Day brunch. But it was extra expensive because special brunch so I wasn't very happy with them, especially because the server seemed clueless that plunking down very dry bread in front of hungry people might make their mouths extra in need of some water or some lubrication.

I have actually been frustrated by the "whatever" casual service there every time I have gone. Back when I first ate at Kilauea Lodge, 20 years ago, they had very high end elegant service that was commensurate with the pricing and ambience. At the time, it was in the top restaurants for the island. But then they migrated into this country rustic sort of tone with servers more like cafe or diner servers, no sophistication at all.

Oversights like letting a mother being treated by family on Mother's Day choke on the dust of dry bread for half an hour. When I was waiting tables, I never ever let people sit without even a glass of water for that amount of time.

If I were one to write TA reviews, it would have been scathing. Clearly they have taken decent care of Shea, so I get that different people have vastly different experiences.

I would like to try Ohelo, and the Thai food truck for lunch, but I'm not clear where they are and when open. And yes, I should run a search, I know.

Edited: 27 May 2017, 00:14