We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see lava up very close?

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Best way to see lava up very close?

What is the best way for a family of 4 (youngest 11yrs old) to get up close (but safely) with lava?

Can we do it on our own or do we need to get a tour and if so is there a not too expensive tour?

We will have our own car.

Thanks,

4 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,942 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to see lava up very close?

>>>Best way to see lava up very close?<<<

National Geographic Channel?

Best and very close have different meanings to different people. If the lava is flowing, none of the tours I know are what I'd cal cheap.

Read the link below.

https:/…lava2.htm

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
386 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to see lava up very close?

There are two ways to see lava right now. There's a lookout next to the Jaggar Museum and you can see the lava glow at night from the lookout. Right now it's pretty high so you can see the glow (enough that my 8 year old was satisfied). The second method is to go down to the ocean. It's a 45-60 minute drive that takes you within 4 miles. From that point you can walk or bike the 4 miles or take a shuttle 2 more miles in. From there you still need to walk or bike the last 2 miles (4 round trip). Most of the road is gravel except for the last few hundred feet, which is uneven lava (you'll see it in the pictures in the link above). There are pictures of how it looks currently in the museum. We decided not to go because the steam was currently obscuring the view of the lava and it seemed a long way to go to not see anything. You can see it better at dusk but then you're walking back in the dark, so it all depends on what experience you'd like to have.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to see lava up very close?

Please read the Lava Viewing topic which addresses this in depth.

There is no "very close" lava viewing except if surface lava flows are flowing on the coastal plain, experienced guides can take you safely up very close to them. However generally these trips involve 6-8 hours of hiking over difficult terrain. Other than that, both the ocean entry and lava lake inside Halemaumau are relatively easily accessible and visible, but from a distance.

J M
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to see lava up very close?

I vote for lava glow at sunset

Reply to: Best way to see lava up very close?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted