We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this house located in a safe neighborhood ?

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is this house located in a safe neighborhood ?

We are a family of 7( including my elderly parents and son) visiting Big Island in August. We are considering renting this house and would like to make sure it's located in a safe neighborhood.

https://www.vrbo.com/448070

The house is located in the Hawaiian Orchid Isle Estates

Would greatly appreciate your reply.

Thank you in advance,

Pearl

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this house located in a safe neighborhood ?

Wow I can see the appeal and very close to VNP. Price looks good for a family too. It has a really good review base to look at as well. KK or Shea can speak better to the "safety" of that exact location. My gut feeling says yes but wait for their reply.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this house located in a safe neighborhood ?

I am hoping to hear from Shea and KK too.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this house located in a safe neighborhood ?

Yes, it's fine. I'm not an expert, but am passing along info as others have asked about that area. It's basically the neighborhood next to Mauna Loa Estates ~ same side of the road, very slightly farther away from the park entrance. Fwiw, it's not in what's referred to as Volcano Village, which how you described it in your other post. That's on the other side of the highway, closer to the park entrance and more directly across from Mauna Loa Estates.

~ Colleen

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this house located in a safe neighborhood ?

This is a small subdivision that is aka Glenwood Gardens. It's probably the wettest area of the wet land between Volcano and Kea'au. Many times I will get a fierce pounding g rain there when it's not raining in Volcano.

I don't know any safety stats and I wouldn't be particularly worried given the number of units and the oversight. However, Glenwood is nowhere near as safe as Volcano. Volcano land has value. This is an area of junk land covered with wa'iwi (invasive pest) and other invasives, very near Pu'u O'o vent. It's mainly known for being a colony of pot-growers.

The rental itself looks great, but it's a really high price point for something next to Fern Forest Estates, an area that is some of the cheapest land in all of Hawaii. And it's extremely wet. The sunshine shown in the ad pics is not typical of the weather.

One of my sons lived around there but it was over ten years ago. He had been there less than a month before his neighbor cleaned his house out of everything he had of value, just cold. He moved. He was technically in Fern Forest; we just accessed his place through Royal Hawaiian Estates, which is also right there. This is just above Akatsuka Orchids.

Like I said, the reviews are very good and the place is high end, so it seems to be fine, but I'm not going to say it's "safe" -- I consider "safe" to end at Mauna Loa Estates. The Hwy 11 corridor of subdivisions is IMHO for people who can handle living near a lot of drug use, drug growing, manufacturing, and crime, and a lot of them have guard dogs and/or guns as part of protecting their property, which vacation rentals do not. But there is a sort of consensus that visitors shouldn't be bothered that much because of tourism importance to economy, so tourists are allowed to be in a bubble in the beautiful forest.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this house located in a safe neighborhood ?

Thanks Colleen. There is another house I am considering which is located in the Mauna Loa Estates . Will decide between the two. Are the homes in Mauna Loa Estates much closer to VNP than the one in this neighborhood ?

Here is the link to the other house I am considering : https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/14454681

I have posted both links in another post too.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this house located in a safe neighborhood ?

KK : Thank you for your expert input.

Taking into consideration the extremely wet weather, colony of pot-growers, first hand bad experience your family had;I have enough negatives to not rent it.We plan to travel at night to see the glow and definitely don't want to stay in a shady neighborhood. There is another house I was considering which is in Mauna Loa estates. I will go with that one.

I am so grateful to this forum for all the helpful advice.

Thank you again!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this house located in a safe neighborhood ?

That's a really attractive house, and the fact it is new is a plus because the damp and musty smells do get to homes in the rain forest as time goes by. Thumbs up. :)

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this house located in a safe neighborhood ?

Yes, it makes good sense to stay in Mauna Loa Estates and pay less for an equally nice home that's closer to the park entrance and Volcano Village, especially in light of KK's observations.

~ Colleen

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this house located in a safe neighborhood ?

Yay!! I am so excited and looking forward to enjoying the house :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this house located in a safe neighborhood ?

I recently stayed here: https://www.vrbo.com/755691

It was very good, not perfect. My review is not yet posted on VRBO.