We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilo and volcano

Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hilo and volcano

We have a trip booked next year to big island staying near waikoloa village time share. Since it is a 2 to 3 hour drive, I want to plan accordingly to see the "must do" on hilo/volcano side of the island. Seeing lava is a definite must! We have 7 nights on the big island, but don't want to miss out. Sunset seems to come so early there.. should we plan on making sight seeing stops on the way or plan on spending our whole day there... we will be traveling back to our resort at the end of the day.. thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
31,245 posts
6,308 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilo and volcano

We like the orchid gardens

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

and the macadamia nut farm on the way to Volcano.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

I would save things around Hilo till you return.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,528 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilo and volcano

You should add at least one night east and not drive back in the dark. See night driving topic in Top Question on safe driving.

You cannot assure yourself of seeing lava that long in advance. The volcano changes, stops and starts flows. You need a night east regardless to explore the volcanoes Park and see the summit glow. Lava doesn't show up by daylight.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilo and volcano

I would spend two nights on the east side.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,528 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilo and volcano

Yes, you will need two nights east to do both VNP and a Kalapana lava hike.

Mentioned in this post
Kalapana
Kalapana
205 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilo and volcano

Thanks for the tip to check safe driving!

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilo and volcano

I was four nights in Volcano. I liked it much better there than the other side as it was really quiet and lush (although cooler and rainier).

I only got to see lava from a pretty far distance and that was a four mile hike to get to. I could've got closer if Id taken a boat tour or hiked into the hills but I was too tired for all that.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilo and volcano

Shorten your stay on the west side and spend a couple of nights east. The #1 "must do" on the east side is Volcanoes National Park, and you need more than a day trip to visit there and take in other sites/stops.

~ Colleen

Reply to: Hilo and volcano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted