We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants - Open Christmas Day?

East Leroy, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants - Open Christmas Day?

We will be at Volcano National Park on Christmas Day. I was wondering if the restaurants in the area will be open? Or have shorter hours? I was looking at the Lava Rock Cafe, Kiawe Kitchen or Kilauea Lodge. Do you recommend one of these more than the other? I am just trying to plan ahead because we will be a long way from our hotel and plan on spending the entire day at the park. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Shelly

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants - Open Christmas Day?

A good number of Big Island businesses close on Christmas Day. It could change from year to year, so you should call the restaurants. I don't know of any major restaurant that was open in Hilo last year. I usually eat out on Christmas Eve and cook on Christmas.

The Lodge being open is certainly a possibility, as they are one that can make a killing on dinner that day, so do call them.

Asian-owned restaurants are more likely to be open, simply because if they are Buddhist, then it's not a family holiday. So call Thai Thai. Still, the tradition outside the hotels is to let workers spend the day with family.

Ken's in Hilo is always open, but it will be crowded up the wazoo, and they don't take reservations.

I always recommend spending Christmas at a resort hotel for people who want a Christmas dinner and don't want to cook. But maybe the Lodge will be there for you. Let us know what they say, OK?

btw, it's only a bit after 3 pm in Hawai'i, so you could certainly call them now even though it's late where you are.

Edited: 08 July 2010, 02:17
Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants - Open Christmas Day?

I agree it is best if you call.... even if you call now check again as we get closer because things change. Are you staying at a B&B or house or at the National Park lodge?

East Leroy, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants - Open Christmas Day?

We are staying in Kona so I was looking for something closer to the park so that we could spend all day there. Most restaurants in Michigan are closed on Christmas so I would expect it to be the same in Hawaii. I hate to see people have to work on Christmas. Maybe I should have planned Christmas to be a beach day. We are trying to cram a lot of activities in our short 10 day trip because this is really the trip of my lifetime and I may never have the opportunity to come back. I have called a few places and Lava Rock Cafe & Kaiwe Kitchen are closed. Kilauea Lodge is open only for breakfast. Volcano Golf & Country Club said they would be open but they probably will be packed since it seems they are the only place around open. We arrive in Kona on Christmas Eve and leave the day after Christmas so maybe we could find a grocery store open and just take a picnic lunch until we get back to the hotel. Thanks for all of the advice.

4. Re: Restaurants - Open Christmas Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2011, 06:16