We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget acommodations in Volcano

Sacramento
8 posts
Save Topic
Budget acommodations in Volcano

Hi,

I posted a similar topic in the island of hawaii forum but didn't quite get the info I was looking for. Thought I might have some more luck in the volcano forum.

I'm planning a trip for late June with my husband. We're spending 5 nights in Waikoloa, and then have 3 nights to spend on the east side. I'm looking at a couple properties in Volcano, but can't figure out exactly where they're located. I've heard been reading some of the older posts and it seems like some neighborhoods are better for vacation rentals than others. Has anyone stayed in either of these places?

Any insights on either of these places (or similarly priced alternatives) is appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.vrbo.com/133282

www.volcanoplaces.com/kates/katescottage.html

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

Scout, it really makes no difference as to the forum. People read at the island forum level, or the state level, and your other topic showed up to everyone same as this does.

Kate's is in Volcano Village; the other doesn't say. There are several subdivisions in the Volcano area. Many rentals don't like to put the exact address on line. Put an address online with a calendar, and that tells people when it's empty -- not good for security.

You can get the address by emailing the owner. It is normal to do an inquiry when you are considering a property.

As long as you are in the volcano vicinity, the neighborhood should be OK. It's when you start to slip down the mountain there are some that are quite sketchy in terms of rampant thievery and other weirdness. If you can find out the name of the subdivision, you don't need to post the street address.

Cute-looking rentals!

My only issue with Volcano is unless you want to do stuff in the park, you have to drive 45--90 minutes each way to do anything, and there are only a handful of restaurants. There is nothing to do after dark other than what comes with your rental (once you've had dinner) and a few minutes looking at the vent at Jaggar.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

Check out http://hawaiiantropicalvacations.com and click on the Volcano accommodations.We stayed at their cute coffee farm studio a while back, it is new, clean, cheap, and the owners were super nice!

cmd
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
511 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

Scout,

Funny, I am considering the same vrbo listing for my Oct trip. What a nice place - it's on the top of my list for time being! I have already emailed the owner, who gave me the subdivision/street on which the rental is located. If you PM me, I'll pass along the info and you can get an idea of where it's at on googlemaps.com.

KK,

I am really interested in the following comment that you made:

"It's when you start to slip down the mountain there are some that are quite sketchy in terms of rampant thievery and other weirdness."

Are you referring to a particular subdivision in the immediate Volcano area that happens to be on the down slope from the HWY? I am seriously considering a few rentals in this location, but don't want to come "home" after a day of touring to find my rental has been broken into to. I know this can happen anywhere, but it would be nice to get a resident's perspective of what to avoid. Please advise.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

cmd,

I am not real knowledgable about the immediate surroundings to Volcano Village, but I have nothing negative to say about them. I've only ever looked at one or two properties around Volcano. It is too cold and damp for me. That said, it has really good things going for it like no coqui frogs and a good sense of community.

You know who is very knowledgable about subdivisions on the east side --TT.

My list of subdivisions that could be sketchy includes Aloha Estates, Fern Forest, Royal Hawaiian Estates (son lived there, got everything good that he owned stolen), Ainaloa, Nanawale.

I would rate certain subdivisions better for people who've spent time in East Hawai'i over newbies: Fern Acres, Glenwood, Kurtistown, Hawaiian Acres, Orchidland, HawaiianParadisePark (except the near ocean strip), Hawaiian Beaches & Hawaiian Shores RE (oceanfront area only), Kea'au Ag Lots. The roads can be bad and the character really mixed.

The subdivisions that are very tourist friendly are Volcano Village and the surround, HPP Kaloli Point /Oceanfront, Kapoho Beach Lots, Kapoho Vacationland (still bad for theft), Kehena and Puna Palisades (alternative and very gay-friendly), Leilani Estates (B&B), and of course Hilo, including Pauka'a, and points north along Hamakua. HPP and Orchidland have some cute rentals outside the main tourist drag of HPP, but as a whole the subdivisions have a big mix. HPP is more gentrified and drier.

Edited: 11 May 2011, 06:02
cmd
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
511 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

KK,

Thanks for your perspective. I have read some real interesting threads on punaweb and city-data.com regarding some of the subdivisions you mentioned (real eye-openers), and actually toured Nanawale (DW and I saw the cheap lot prices and drove around back in 2006). Let's just say our tour cured me from thinking buying there was a good idea!

Do you (or TT) have an opinion regarding Mauna Loa Estates? I hope I am not putting you on the spot by asking, but there are some nice vacation rentals there and I wasn't sure if this area is what you meant by "slip down the mountain".

If you don't feel comfortable commenting here, I would be most appreciative if you PM'd me.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

"My list of subdivisions that could be sketchy includes Aloha Estates, Fern Forest, Royal Hawaiian Estates (son lived there, got everything good that he owned stolen), Ainaloa, Nanawale."

KK is right on. I would not stay in any of those subdivisions. Mauna Loa Estates is right across of the highway from Volcano Village. It's not immune to property crimes, but if you are staying in the upper part and on or close to Wright Road or Jade Street than you should be OK.

cmd
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
511 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

Thanks TT!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

I didn't mean Mauna Loa Estates at all. I don't have a lot of information on the various subdivisions around the Village, and would refer you to TT.

I've looked at a lot of property in East Hawai'i, which as you mentioned is a good way to get the feel of places, driving around. However, I only ever looked at one near Volcano, and that was in Mauna Loa Estates. The property sold to someone who converted it into a B&B. It was a truly unique property with elevated walkways. Tree fern forest ...

It's a very atmospheric area that many people just love.

As some background on my taste -- I lived in the redwood forest and in the Olympic Rain Forest, and got my fill of misty fern-filled woods. Now to someone else that landscape would be like something they've never seen before, enchanting, whereas to me it's more of what I already know.

I prefer to see the ocean -- that's what makes my heart sing (if there's an ocean in the vicinity). Although I have lived by or near the ocean a lot, I never ever get tired of seeing it (unlike ohia and tree ferns).

So I would rather stay oceanfront in lower Puna than in Volcano, but that is purely a personal preference. I have friends who live in Volcano who love it the most, and visitors love Volcano as far as I can tell. (By Volcano I mean within 10 minutes of the park).

The vog occasionally nails Volcano, when the wind shifts. This from my friends who live there, who suffered from it last winter. In the summer, the trades should keep the air cleared out there.

Volcano area has been settled for a long time, and should not be confused with the wild and cheap land that lines Hwy 11 and Hwy 130 in places. Volcano has an Art Center, a golf course, restaurants, lodging.

Some of these other places have nothing in the way of community. Very popular in the 70's for growing pot, still a big part of the farming there. Lots of squatters on absentee owners' land, generally lawless except as the HOA's of the subdivision are more or less successful in taming the wildness.

NOT areas where you want to show up in your brand new rental car and rent a picturesque cottage.

Most vacation rentals are in vacation rental friendly areas, so I wouldn't be too worried at all, but still you do want to do your homework and find out where it is before you put a deposit down.

cmd
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
511 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

Great info KK! It's interesting to hear that you have lived on the Olympic Peninsula. I find the Seattle area weather depressing most of the year. I can only imagine what it's like to live there!

Sounds like Mauna Loa Estates is an OK place, much nicer than Nanawale - LOL. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice some of the vacation rentals are in this area. I've never stayed in Volcano before. I have only stayed in Hilo, so this will be a new experience. We're traveling with first-timers to the Hawaiian Islands, so we wanted to make sure they saw VNP, Puna, Hilo and Hamakua and then it's off to WBR for sun and sand.

lolodes
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

i stayed at that rental that the first poster mentioned and its perfect! anyone who stays there will love it!!!!

they have a facebook page to check out...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Volcano-Hale-Mauka/256806454333743

volcano is very quiet and peaceful...perfect place to get away from it all! lots to do in the park too!