We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget acommodations in Volcano

Which Volcano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento
8 posts
Save Topic
Budget acommodations in Volcano

Hi,

I posted a similar topic in the island of hawaii forum but didn't quite get the info I was looking for. Thought I might have some more luck in the volcano forum.

I'm planning a trip for late June with my husband. We're spending 5 nights in Waikoloa, and then have 3 nights to spend on the east side. I'm looking at a couple properties in Volcano, but can't figure out exactly where they're located. I've heard been reading some of the older posts and it seems like some neighborhoods are better for vacation rentals than others. Has anyone stayed in either of these places?

Any insights on either of these places (or similarly priced alternatives) is appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.vrbo.com/133282

www.volcanoplaces.com/kates/katescottage.html

Volcano, Hawaii
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

Volcano Village is the area to the nortrh of Hwy 11. It's history goes back a long way. The back of the Village, known as Kilauea Settlement was originally settled by Japanese plantation workers whose contracts had run out in the earlier part of the 20th Century. They were given parcels of land, usuallyt three acres and left to clear the forest and figure out how to live there. They worked extremely hard with only hand tools and did very well growing Napa cabbage and some other crops. A couple of the old farms are still there at the end of Haunani Road.

The Village than became a summer resort for plantation managers from Hamakua and North Hilo. The house in back of the Post Office was one of the first vacation houses. The Village has grown very slowly since. This is a good thing. The rainy and sometimes cold weather, not to mention its proximity to the Volcano, have kept population from growing as it has in lower Puna. Those who live there generally love it. Although some come and go rather quickly. As a vacation distination on a tour of the Big Island, it should be considered an essential destination. The charm and mystical quality of the Village are captivating. Because the Village developed the way it has, there are many twisty, hidden roads to explore. The magic is palpable as is the general friendliness and attitude of those who live there.

Directly across the highway is Mauna Loa Estates. This is a lovely subdivision which was established in the 1950s. It is a planned subdivision so the streets are laid out on a grid. There are many excellent vacation rentals there and some great BnBs. Farther up the highway there is also the Golf Course subdivision. There are some great rentals there but even though it is very close to the Village, the weather is and flora are drastically different. It is much closer to what you might expect at higher elevations in California, with the exception of stunning views of Manu Loa and Kilauea just across the street. It is built around a very nice golf course.

These three areas are the nicest of what I consider Volcano. Just down the mountain from Mauna Loa Estates is Ohia Estates and Royal Hawaiian Estates. Also nice, but real estate there is less expensive. Other than these, I would do careful research on your rental choice. My favorite by far is to be in the Village. For me the history is very special, especially back at the end of Haunani Road where the Village began. That's just me. I do feel something there, not to get all wooo wooo, but there you go.

Edited: 10 December 2011, 17:11
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

The OP went to Hawaii last June.......

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

Nice post on Volcano's history, but why dredge up an old topic that's been gathering dust for four months, isn't relevant because OP already took trip, and is about budget lodging, but your post is not?

Maybe you could find a more relevant topic next time? You can always start your own topic if you have something you want to say.

That was a nice post, but it will get buried here and very few will read it other than those looking at new posts today.

btw, the Golf Course is in Ka'u district, while the Village is in Puna district. The golf course gets the Ka'u climate influence. Ka'u is a desert, while much of Puna is rain forest. In this map, you can see how the summit crater and the Ka'u part of Volcano are on the west-facing flank of Kilauea. The rain comes from the east (northeast).

hawaii-kau.com/catalog/products.php…

Edited: 10 December 2011, 23:09
Volcano, Hawaii
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

hy complain about something I wanted to write? These forums are looked at by many others than the OPs. TypicallyTropical had said something disparaging about Mauna Loa Estates and it was very misinformed. Someone reading this topic might have gotten the wrong idea and missed a wonderful experience. I live in Volcano Village now and I'm well aware the Golf Course is in Ka'u. As it is at the summit, however, it does not get typical Ka'u weather. Yes, drier than the Village by about 30 inches a year, not nearly as lush, but its own "charm" nonetheless. Still cold, but bordering on the Park.

Please let me know if you are a moderator of any forum. Otherwise, please allow me to post as I wish without a scolding. Others might be interested in my perspective as well. I am far more informed than you or TT when it comes to Volcano area. Thank you

Edited: 18 December 2011, 14:40
PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

How is the subdivision Ohia Estateestes?

16. Re: Budget acommodations in Volcano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2013, 10:21