We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lava flows

Kansas
Level Contributor
630 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Lava flows

We will be in Kalapana on the big island in late November. Is it possible to see lava flowing anywhere? Do you need to see it by helicopter or by boat? Is this a stupid question? Keep in mind, I live in Kansas so we see little in the way of volcanic activity.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,690 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lava flows

Jay, there's no telling if lava will be visibly flowing, much less if it will be in the park and accessible. Madam Pele does what she pleases when she pleases. That said, please don't even think of going by boat. It's dangerous, much more so than the marketing would have you believe. Go to the main Big Island forum and use the search box above the postings for "lava boat."

Your best option is probably a helicopter tour, which is pricey but quite worth it.

Kansas
Level Contributor
630 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lava flows

Thanks PZP,

Where would you access helicopter tour? We will be in Kalapana in the Puna region of the big island.

mass
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lava flows

My wife and i took lava roys boat ride out of the puna area. I t was us and another couple in the boat. Captain roy got us to within 25 to 30 feet of liquid lava flowing into the pacific ocean !! You could hear it and smell it and watch it make the ocean boil . It was one expperience i will never forget. We found his ad in one of the local magazines. Honestly it didn't seem dangerous at all.I would highly recommend. Thats if the lava is flowing. good luck

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,690 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lava flows

dreams, I will recommend the same to you as I did to Jayhawk. Put "lava boat" into the search box. You will come up with threads that say, overwhelmingly, that it's dangerous and why. As I said, the marketing, i.e., what the perpetrators say, doesn't mention the danger lest they have no customers.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,571 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lava flows

hawaii dreams,

Sorry, I dont buy it.

You posted the same thing a couple of threads ago and you seen a reply stating the danger, and you post again the same thing.

6. Re: Lava flows

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 00:17