We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days stay Hilo or volcano village

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
3 days stay Hilo or volcano village

We have 3 days for the volcanic national park. Which place is better Hilo or volcano village to the tourist spots and for meals etc.. We were looking at Kileau lodge or volcano Tree house.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days stay Hilo or volcano village

I'm a fan of Volcano Village as it is one of my favorite places to relax and escape the norm.

I've always been a fan of Kay's Volcano Village Lodge as it is a gem in the rain forest. Look at TA B&B reviews and pick the place that meets your needs and wants.

There are numerous restaurants that are very good in Volcano Village. The restaurants are also listed on TA. I like the Vegetarian choices at Ono's as well as the nice art gallery the owner has created.

Stop for mid-morning coffee at one of two little country stores for a memorable experience.

It is nice to stay in Volcano Village as you can spend the day hiking, exploring and then relax minutes away at your room or lodge.

Now, I also like Hilo. There can be as many reasons to stay in Hilo. For example:

Nice downtown

Old Hawaiian charm

Good selection of restaurants

Nice locals

Fun stores

And more.

You won't go wrong at either place!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days stay Hilo or volcano village

thank u. Do u think it is a good idea to do 2 days at volcano village and a night at hilo for something different. We are then driving to Kona is there a good place on route there to stop for the night.

LA
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days stay Hilo or volcano village

There is no reason to stay a night anywhere between Hilo/Volcano and Kona.

From your other posts, it looks as if you are staying at the Mauna Lani. That is not in Kona and the best drive from Hilo may be over the east side, through Waimea.

Edited: 03 November 2011, 02:20
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days stay Hilo or volcano village

Depends on your direction of travel to me. If you are heading south thru Captain Cook and stop at Place of Refuge, Painted Church, and then Black Sand Beach along the way, then Kilauea Lodge will be best lodging or My Island B&B for budget lodging. Down side up there it can be really cold and rainy (down to 60 degrees in the house during the winter, no heating typically).

Dining in Volcano Village will be limited and almost no shopping.

One full day in Volcano National Park will cover most of the highlights as follows: Visitor Center, Art Center, Sulfur Banks, Steam Vents, Jaggar Museum, Thurston Lava Tube, Kilauea Iki loop trail (from same parking spot), maybe first mile of Mauna Ulu trail, Petroglyph trail, then to the bottom of Chain of Craters Road. After those highlights you are starting to scratch for things to do. The Bird Park just west of Volcano is good for a short morning hike. Make sure you leave one clear sundown to view Halema Crater from Jaggar Museum.

On your way back around you can do most of the Hilo and Hamakua Coast sites in one full day. If you are planning on doing a scenic loop of lower Puna better add another day.

If traveling in the other direction then Hilo makes more sense w/ the Shipman House for best accomodation and Dolphin Bay Hotel for budget lodging.

Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days stay Hilo or volcano village

Volcano Village is a quaint little place just a few miles outside of Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park. This is the place to stay if you are interested in exploring the National Park-and there is enough to explore there for all 3 days! Volcano Village has multiple quality lodging options, most of them being a ‘lodge’ or Bed and Breakfast style. Kilauea Lodge is a great central location, and you can even walk to stores and restaurants from there if you choose. A few other recommended options include the Chalet Kilauea, Volcano Village Lodge, and The TeaPot Cottage.

If you decide to stay in the Village, check out Kiawe Kitchen for a lunch or dinner option. They offer great wood-fired options, fresh fish, and featured local desserts. Right around the corner from there is Café O’hia, which is a nice little bakery with fresh sandwiches and soups. If you like traditional Thai food, check out Thai Thai right in the heart of Volcano Village.

There is so much to see and do in Volcano-exploring Kilauea Volcano from summit to sea, a great farmers market every Sunday, and stop by Volcano Winery for a complimentary wine tasting daily! Enjoy this beautiful place!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days stay Hilo or volcano village

I have booked 2 days at Kileau lodge and 5 days at Mauna lani, I have one spare day driving from Volcano to the Kona coast. Any ideas where to stay for a night. I thought maybe a night in HIlo?

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days stay Hilo or volcano village

Mauna Lani is not on the Kona coast, it's on the Kohala Coast. It's an easy day trip from Volcano, take the Hamakua Coast road with stops at Akaka Falls, Laupahoehoe Point, the Waipio Valley overlook, and through beautiful Waimea. You certainly could stay a night in Hilo, but there's no need to book a night in Hilo or anywhere else along the way. I'd add another night to the Mauna Lani.

Excellent choice in lodgings, Kilauea Lodge and the Mauna Lani are two of my top recommendations on the island.

Edited: 12 November 2011, 07:33
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,765 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days stay Hilo or volcano village

Stay two nights Volcano Village and add a night to your Mauna Lani stay. Two nights is plenty on that side of the island. Hilo is basically a commercial port and government town. It will not take you a day to drive up the Hamakua coast, through Waimea and over to the Kohala coast and the Mauna Lani. Do you have a map?

While staying at Mauna Lani you can drive south to Place of Refuge, Hulihee Palace, stop briefly in toursity Kona Town. I presume you are flying IN to Hilo and OUT of Kona?

Volcano, Hawaii
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days stay Hilo or volcano village

Volcano Village is a very special place on its own apart from the Park. If asked, I never say one day in the park is enough. I do realize many have very limited time on the Big Island and it is well, big. There is so much to do and see that you can always plan a return trip if you enjoy it. If you take the Northern route to the Mauna Lani, you can stop in Hilo for a little shopping, sightseeing and some lunch. Driving time from Volcano t o your hotel is about two hours but there is plenty to see on the way. Maybe plan a stop at Waipio Valley. You'll never see everything but don't try. Relax and have a good time. Definitely drive into Kailua for an evening. It is about 60 miles or so from your hotel. Avoid rush hour and traffic will be minimal. You might also plan a drive North on one of your days to Hawi and further on to Pololu Valley.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days stay Hilo or volcano village

Thank you for your advice. Will check out the places recommended. I have booked for 3 days at kileau lodge.