We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air quality Volcano Village, HI

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
46 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Air quality Volcano Village, HI

My husband & I would love to spend a day or so at Volcano Village in April, 2012. It didn't occur to me that there was an air quality problem until I saw some posts from 2008 about some big problems with visibility, etc. I have always romanticized about seeing the volcano but have only seen beautiful pictures. TX

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air quality Volcano Village, HI

Ideally you plan Volcano into a 3 or 4 day loop of the island and you have some flexibility if the weather or air quality is bad in Volcano you can pick another day. If visiting from Kona or Waikoloa its an early morning get up early and drive all day affair and hopefully checking the weather before you leave.

Some parts of the park can be really bad depending on direction of the wind. For that reason the west half of the Crater Rim drive is closed indefinitely. Also, at the ocean entry area if the steam cloud is heading back to the end of Chain of Craters road that can take your breath away as well. If you are asthmatic VNP in general can be bad for you especially if getting near the steam vents or sulfur banks. So if you have any hint of asthma keep that in mind. Ideally stop at the Visitor Center desk first thing to get oriented and get up to the minute air quality conditions.

Typically the main part of the park is safe for most adults but depending on the wind direction closures can happen at almost any time. For example Jaggar Museum is typically a safe vantage point to look at Halema Crater but on rare occasions the wind can come back directly at the view point and be subject to immediate closure w/o warning.

Here's some good sites to keep tabs on what's going on:

hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/images.html

http://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

:

Edited: 10 January 2012, 19:32
Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
566 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air quality Volcano Village, HI

This is the sight that I like to use:

…nps.gov/air/…havoalert.cfm

If we are getting winds coming from the south, you can expect closures at the worst, but usually they just close up any open doors and turn on the air purifiers. On very rare occasions there will be road closures, or building closures as TheodoreJay mentioned, but these don't typically last long.

If you have the flexibility just try to plan the trip for a time when there are strong North-Easterly trade winds.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
46 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air quality Volcano Village, HI

TX so much for those websites.

Lavaguyd, I just read your response to my other post about framing our trip & we are to If it's not a flexible at this time in case the air is bad. But not sure how to be flexible with lodging since I assume we need to book it all in advance of our trip, assuming places fill up in April?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air quality Volcano Village, HI

2008 was an atypical year. The volcano was pumping out huge levels of gas, and the island was afflicted by vog. Thankfully, that subsided. Disregard comments from 2008 for anything other than history.

Volcano residents I know do complain of the vog when the trades drop. This is usually a winter time phenomenon, as the trades blow brisk in the summer half of the year. They don't drop all winter, but at times.

The air in the Village and the Park are two separate things. The park is right at the source, but the Village being upwind from the vent, has perfectly fine air quality as long as the wind doesn't switch.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air quality Volcano Village, HI

I have never ever seen anything but crisp clean air in Volcano Village. Since the winds blow from East to West, I doubt they have bad air there at all, except during the "Kona Winds" but that is rare and doesn't last long.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air quality Volcano Village, HI

well, I based what I said on comments from my friend who has lived in Mauna Loa Estates at least ten years. He said last year that the vog was really bothering him and others he knew, over a period of months.

However, it seems that visitors don't notice the same things that residents are sensitive to ... but when Volcano gets vog, it is going to have more sulfur dioxide in it than vog that has traveled farther. It's the nature of vog to have the substances drop out as it travels away from the source.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying there for most people, and am only saying this because the question was asked. I think the winter cold would be far more of a deterrent than the air quality.

7. Re: Air quality Volcano Village, HI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 10:17