We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Volcano but not renting

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Volcano but not renting

Hi,

I've read through some of the entries here but havent really found the answer to my question so if anyone could help please?

My boyfriend and I are planning to fly early intro Hilo Airport & explore the VNP. The only problem is we are from Australia, so we are quite concerned with driving on the other side of the road (never done it before!)

So, is there a shuttle bus service (thats affordable) that will pick you up from the airport, drop you off at the park, and then return at the end of the day to drive you back to the airport?

We'd really like to avoid those tours organised by companies like Polynesian - it feels too risky for me & am concerned that I will not be able to see as much on the tour as I would doing my own 'tour'.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Volcano but not renting

Or, perhaps if everyone really insists on us driving (my bf will not me! lol) then maybe someone could shed some light on the type of driving experience we should expect... eg. are the roads narrow and windy or relatively easy to drive on?

Thanks again

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Volcano but not renting

There are narrow twisty roads on the island for sure, but Hilo to Volcano and back shouldn't be a bad drive at all. I don't know of any shuttle services.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,933 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Volcano but not renting

Hilo to Volcano and around HVNP is easy driving.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Volcano but not renting

Yeah, don't worry about it, it's an easy drive even for those who think they are driving on the "wrong side" of the road. I'm an an old fart and had no problem driving on the "wrong side" of the road in Fiji, Malaysia and Thailand, so you shouldn't worry about driving here.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Volcano but not renting

Thanks guys, appreciate it :)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Volcano but not renting

It's not winding roads or going down the road that is difficult. It's making turns at intersections. Your habits tell you to turn into the lane into incoming traffic. If there is enough traffic for you to follow other cars, that is better than having to think about it.

You don't have to make any turns going up to VNP once you are on Hwy 11. It couldn't be more simple.

Otherwise you do need a tour. There are small tours.

LA
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Volcano but not renting

No shuttles.

No public bus system that would work for you.

Rent a car or take a tour.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Volcano but not renting

If you decide it's easier and more enjoyable to take a small tour, then check out Warren Costa.

http://www.nativeguidehawaii.com/

We just returned from St John USVI where we drove on the "other side" of the island and only made one mistake this time, no problem!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Volcano but not renting

Yes I can imagine that being quite daunting! Thank you for your advice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Volcano but not renting

Ah thank you, I will look up the tour company you have recommended. It seems like renting a car and braving the roads maybe more worthwhile in terms of value for money though...