We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you see the lava glow from the jaggar museum at night

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How do you see the lava glow from the jaggar museum at night

If VNP closes at 5pm, and sunset is at 7pm, how does one see the lava glow from the jagger museum?

Do you just have to be inside the gates by 5pm?

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,848 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you see the lava glow from the jaggar museum at night

VNP is open 24/7, no worries!

They stop taking money when the entrance station closes. Then you can drive in without paying.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,564 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you see the lava glow from the jaggar museum at night

Take a flashlight for the walk from the parking lot. It's DARK out there.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,848 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you see the lava glow from the jaggar museum at night

Yes, a flashlight is an essential item for VNP and in general you should have one in your car just in case.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,564 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you see the lava glow from the jaggar museum at night

In a pinch you can use the light from your cell phone.

West Palm Beach,FL
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you see the lava glow from the jaggar museum at night

I have a couple of headlamps that I got from Walmart (in Florida). They were around $10 and run on AAA batteries. They are great because they leave your hands free. They are in the camping section. I am bringing them with me to the BI.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you see the lava glow from the jaggar museum at night

If you go there during the day you'll be able to see the view to Halema Crater is about a mile away and you can get a likely forecast for the evening. If its going to be really rainy and foggy then the view will be bad. It takes about 4 hours to car tour the whole park so keep that in mind if heading back to Jaggar Museum later. Bring binoculars, zoom lense for the camera, rain gear, hot coffee and enjoy the view for an hour or so. Ha my cell phone has a flashlight function :)

Canby, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you see the lava glow from the jaggar museum at night

A suggestion on flashlights. At our Costco they have a package of 3 flashlights, 4 1/2" x 1 1/4" for $19.95 and often a $5 instant rebate. They put out an incredible amount of light with three settings included a flasher. They take 3 AAA which are included. I have purchased 3 packages and have them in every car and am bringing at least a couple the next trip. Of course with Costco you never know if something will be there next week, but we have had them for at least 6 months.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How do you see the lava glow from the jaggar museum at night

You don't need headlamps at Jaggar at night, and they will just blind everybody else :-)

It's a very short walk from the parking lot to the viewing deck and there are almost always some people there, even late at night.

I did use my cell phone last time, pzp, lol.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 19:40
East Coast
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do you see the lava glow from the jaggar museum at night

When there is a full moon on a clear night it is very bright like candle light.

10. Re: How do you see the lava glow from the jaggar museum at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:42