We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation for Family of 5 (3 teens) December

Sydney
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation for Family of 5 (3 teens) December

Were planning on spending 2 nights in Volcano in December this year. Where is a nice (not over the top expensive) B&B we could stay in? Also, one of my son's suffers mild occasional asthma. Why do they recommend asthma sufferers don't go to the park? Is it dangerous?

Simonne

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Accommodation for Family of 5 (3 teens) December

The weather at Christmas is a roll of the dice on the east side. I definitely would recommend a nice cheery abode in case you are forced to be inside.

The way to get a nice sunny holiday with swimming is to stay west as most people do.

Sydney
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Accommodation for Family of 5 (3 teens) December

OK.........you've all managed to freak me out and have made adjustments to our plans. We are now 8 days around Kona, 1 night Volcano and 2 nights Hilo (will stay with hostel). Thanks for setting us straight - one of the many advantages of utilising tripadvisor is to "discuss" and formulate plans with those 'on the ground'!! :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Accommodation for Family of 5 (3 teens) December

Much better plan (well, except for the hostel part with the three teens...lol). Let us know if we can help you with your west side accommodation. The Kohala Coast area has big luxury condos near the best beaches for under $200/nt, although Christmas time can be expensive so get on it. I like vrbo.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Accommodation for Family of 5 (3 teens) December

I don't recommend the hostel. I drove by it yesterday, and while I can only see the rather dilapidated outside, all the rooms have windows propped open over the noisy streets (it's on a corner). The rooms probably have zero air flow if you shut the window.

It's also an area where they've been having some gang violence in the evenings, so you can't even let your teenagers wander around. It's only two nights, I would splurge for something better.

Sydney
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Accommodation for Family of 5 (3 teens) December

Being the budget travellers rather than the 'big luxury condo' travellers, I found a condo on vrbo in Kailua-Kona area "Keauhou Resort". $135 per night which was the most reasonable place I could find to house the 5 of us!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Accommodation for Family of 5 (3 teens) December

You can get that same price on a much larger, nicer, newer condo in Waikoloa Beach. Outrigger Fairway Villas and Vista Waikoloa are two such properties. Keauhou is an hour from the beaches and will have more vog, rain, and clouds that time of year.

Also I don't know what the Keauhou Resort is. There's a hotel (not condo) called the Keauhou Beach hotel, and then there's the Keauhou Surf and Racquet Club. A hotel room won't accommodate five people.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 19:43
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Accommodation for Family of 5 (3 teens) December

Looking at VRBO I found a "Keauhou Resort" rental which describes a one bedroom townhouse in a complex on five acres with a pool and 5 min walk to Keauhou Bay. I would imagine there are two Bedrooms. It doesn't appear

to be KS&R.

http://www.vrbo.com/59617

linked as an example if the complex

The photos are much prettier than what I think the colors look like in reality.

28. Re: Accommodation for Family of 5 (3 teens) December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:15