We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

List your fave and/or least liked Volcano area lodgings

Which Volcano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
List your fave and/or least liked Volcano area lodgings

Hi all, I'm trying to create some resource topics for the forum. There are so many scattered topics on where to stay in the Volcano area. If you have already stayed in a lodging, consider filling out this little questionnaire and say anything else you think is relevant. Tell us the good and the bad. I will then link this to a Top Question.

If you don't want to answer any particular question, no worries. It is just meant to cover a range of information that is useful to people. Answer as much or little as feels comfortable to you.

Questions:

Name of lodgings and any VRBO/Homeaway #

Owner, host, property management, contact person:

Rate per night before taxes or deposit:

Location (subdivision or distance from Volcano Village):

Month (and year) of stay:

How many nights:

Suitable for how many people? Good for couples, families?

How were interactions with the owners or managers when booking?

During (or after) stay?

Were there kitchen facilities and how were they?

What did you love about this place?

What did you not love?

Was the place clean, dry, warm, pleasant-smelling?

Any issues with dampness, mold, smells, cold?

How were the beds, linens, towels?

What sort of heat source is available? (fireplace, wood stove, radiant, electric, gas, etc.)

How was the drinking and bathing water?

Did you feel it was a fair value for the cost?

Would you stay there again?

Comments:

PLEASE do not use this topic for a first post (or second). First posts that review lodgings have no real credibility. Please feel free to write a formal review and post it in the review section.

This topic is for forum users to make recommendations or warnings to those who are shopping for a place to stay in the Volcano area, so that when we get a query (basically daily), there's a topic that mentions a good range of options. (I'll do another one for Hilo and Puna locations if this takes off.)

This topic is not for owners or managers or friends of property owners. It is only for guests who have already completed a stay, with the exception that if you booked and then canceled for some reason, or tried to book and had communication issues, and want to share that experience, that is fine too.

Mahalo!

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: List your fave and/or least liked Volcano area lodgings

GREAT job! Just a few questions before I write.

Please help me understand. I have stayed at 4 Volcano Properties in the past two years and several repeatedly. I go through and rate all 4 based on the above? This is different from a review how?

It seems like a good outline for a review. But, then this gets posted where and how?

I had an issue with my review I wrote for Volcano Village Lodge about two years ago. I wrote it honestly, had no ties to anyone, and it was removed. I never wrote another for them or any place in Volcano.

Do you want us to provide you receits for our stay? I really like that idea! Or, how are you going to know if they stayed any more than usual?

When you look at the average poster they barely take time to write more than 5 or 6 reviews in their TA life. How does TA expect them to write more? How does TA know it isn't their first review?

Have TA attornies reviewed this to make sure it doesn't open up TA for lawsuits that their established system has tried to workout?

TA in their policy doesn't exclude friendship so why is friendship excluded in a case like this? I mean a lot of people who stay at a B&B either go because of a friend owning the place or becomes friends with the owners over time.

Many people write reviews of hotels and have some kind of ownership stake in the chain either through a 401k or stock holdings, but TA doesn't say you can't make a review of a Hilton hotel if you own Hilton stock, it only says that you don't own that particular stock. So, those who own shares in an LLC which holds a B&B but has a member of the LLC on site is to be excluded or included.

Will these pseudo-reviews allow for owners to see as they see on TA and protest the information? I only mention that from negative postings made against the place near the village that complained they wouldn't refund their money. I jumped in and called the Asian owner and reported it to TA as I think a nasty guest was trying to hurt this husband & wife's business through slander. So, my question is how will these be monitored from us followers of TA and the owners? If I see misinformation how do I as a regular TA person notify TA?

I'm only a TA semi-regular and I'm very curious. I'm also curious to hear from owners or friends of owners on what they think.

K, did this come down from TA Corporate?

On other hand I think it is GREAT, but I had a couple quick questions before I take the time to provide information on 4 places.

Thank you so much for letting us all know!

Edited: 25 August 2012, 17:15
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: List your fave and/or least liked Volcano area lodgings

This is just a topic created off the top of my head. There was no input from TA and this has nothing to do with a ranking system like reviews. I made a dew parameters the same way any OP can say I want to hear from people who _____. I don't care if you are a friend of the owner as long as you also rented at the property. There is no verification -- just your word as a forum poster FWIW.

This is not really any different from any other where to stay in Volcano topic other than --

I would like to keep it one lodging per post

I'm hoping other people don't jump in with tangents

I want it to stay on topic of lodgings

I provided some framework of elements that are useful to know for this area, for example heat and dryness. Some responses to queries about Volcano often say stay here because it was darling cute and magical. I'm hoping for a little more substance.

Please let's not turn a simple idea for a helpful topic into a tangle of legal pitfalls. Just offer up feedback on properties you like if you so wish.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: List your fave and/or least liked Volcano area lodgings

I only included least faves as a way to balance it out and give room for a variety of takes. I'm not looking for a lot of pans here, more for recommendations.

If there is some factual error that an owner simply must set straight, fine, but if it's an opinion let it be and don't turn the topic into a debate. All I want is ideas for staying places. I've never stayed in Volcano so I would like to know where to stay for a staycation one of these days and am asking the forum folks to chime in.

The difference between this and a hundred other similar topics is that I'll keep track of it and it won't be done with like most are done with once the OP decides.

M M
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: List your fave and/or least liked Volcano area lodgings

Great idea. I frequently stay on the Kona side, and am thinking of staying on the Hilo side for a couple of days. I hope to come back here and read about some decent places to stay.

Merced, California
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: List your fave and/or least liked Volcano area lodgings

Hi KK

My husband retired from the Air Force, after spending 26 years on active duty. The reason I mention that first is because of his service, we are entitled to stay at Kilauea Military Camp... which we've done at least six or seven times over 30 years.

KMC is located inside Volcanoes National Park and has a history that goes way back to the 1920s. It sits almost on the rim of Halemaumau Crater. The camp offers accommodations ranging from a 1 bedroom apartment to 3 bedroom cottages with full kitchens. The room rates are dependent upon your military rank

For the past several visits we've chosen to stay in the front

row 1 or 2 bedroom cottages... they look out on a huge lawn and in the center is a flag plole where our flag flies.

The cottages are very simple... with a lava rock fireplace in the living room ... which has a chair... sofa... end tables, lamps and television. There is a microwave and refrigerator but no kitchen in these cottages. But that works great for me because I don't want to cook while on vacation. There is a simple but clean bathroom and in each bedroom (whether you choose one or two)... you'll find comfortable full size beds in each room... and really lovely stained glass windows. Each cottage has different windows and they are all so pretty!

The climate in this part of Hawaii is quite often chilly and damp, and that's just part of the wonder of VNP. As I said, KMC is quite old... and though they clean and renovate as often as possible... these facilities are not luxurious, by any means.

I love the history ... the feeling of being part of the family of KMC. They offer guided tours of the Big Island... there is a restaurant... a general store... a bowling alley... and equipment rentals as well as a gas station on the premises.

I mentioned the family of KMC and the staff at the desk... as well as housekeeping...and all of the retail portions.... are friendly and welcoming. One Friday night, during our visit... we went to the lounge ... oh yes I forgot to mention the Lava Lounge... so we went because there was entertainment being offered. I've been to many luaus... and hula shows... etc, but this was very unique. All of the dancers and musicians were related.... some siblings ... others cousins. They were good.. not fabulous but so entertaining because they had fun ... they encouraged the audience to sing and dance and just join in the fun. We loved it.

I could go on and on ... but you can Google KMC and read more if you want to.

Our 1 bedroom cottage rented for $127 per night and there is no minimum stay. As I said, we love it and will return again.

Just one reminder... you must be military affiliated in order to stay here.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: List your fave and/or least liked Volcano area lodgings

In short, I've never stayed anyplace in Volcano that made me unhappy. In order of "fanciness and price", top to bottom: Kilauea Lodge, Lokahi Lodge, My Island B&B.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,812 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: List your fave and/or least liked Volcano area lodgings

This is a great idea, thanks. I'll take the time to respond to the questions in detail when I get home, but briefly, Volcano Village Lodge is definitely my favourite place to stay in Volcano. It's right in Volcano Village and consists of several lodge-like, roomy cottages of varying sizes with lofts and bedrooms, kitchenettes, dining table, wood stoves. Good for families or couples depending on choice. Hot tub. Surrounded by rainforest and Buddhas and windchimes. Rates around $300/nt.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: List your fave and/or least liked Volcano area lodgings

I thank you all, but I am actually going to start over again and not focus on like or dislike. What I really want is objective descriptions of the details (like post 7). Plus I realized I did want to use a question list format, because I want one post to be easily compared to another for features.

9. Re: List your fave and/or least liked Volcano area lodgings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 01:18