We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiawe Kitchen closed

Which Volcano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UOT
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
219 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Kiawe Kitchen closed

Just thought I would share since I remember the name a lot from the forums. The owner of our cottage said that it closed last week.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,679 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiawe Kitchen closed

Thanks! I Had heard that but didn't get around to starting a topic.

Baker Tom's in Papaikou is also shutting up shop, lease hike. Looking for a new location in Hilo.

Really a shame on both counts.

Dormansland, United...
Level Contributor
269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiawe Kitchen closed

Yep, we reached Volcano on the 18th and it has just closed. Something to do with the owner of the building putting the rent up so high Kiawe Kitchen could not afford it. Apparently a new restaurant will be taking up in there but no word as to what type it is according to folk in Volcano Garden Arts. Thai Thai was very busy all the time we were there.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,679 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiawe Kitchen closed

I don't know what's up with all this lease raising going on. The economy improves some slight amount and people get greedy. I know of people whose home rentals are getting raised forcing them to move as well. But real estate prices are still down and people are still unemployed.

Well, any restaurant in Volcano does come with a great number of willing patrons, so if they are any good, they should make it. The prices at Thai Thai, most here agree, are too high. You go to have Thai food in Hilo or Pahoa, and it's probably better for less money.

OTOH, Kilauea Lodge's prices are very reasonable for fine dining.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
686 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiawe Kitchen closed

I loved this place. What's opened in its place? And did they ever find a spot in Hilo?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,466 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiawe Kitchen closed

They never reopened anywhere else and there was nothing new occupying the space when I was there in May.

Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiawe Kitchen closed

That's the thing I find amazing about companies that hike rent prices.

Say they're paying $5000/month in rent (making this number up, I've never been, no idea about the market prices, size, etc) and they wanted to hike it to $6000/month.

They've had no one in almost a year. They've lost out on $60,000 so far, because they were greedy and wanted an extra $12,000 a year. JUST to make back that $60,000 it'll now take them 4 years at $6,000 a month before they've even broken even.

It makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 21:13
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
686 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiawe Kitchen closed

I find it amazing with the lack of decent restaurants in Volcano, nobody has opened in this great space with that awesome brick oven. The rent must be insane.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,679 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiawe Kitchen closed

Agree hookshot ..

Another example local to me:

Baker Tom made a great little business out of a totally unpromising hole in the wall attached to the propane refill station in Papa'ikou. After some 8 years of his business gradually picking up steam there, the landlord got greedy and did a massive rent hike. Baker Tom couldn't pay it and closed up shop.

Now there is no business there and won't be at that rent, and we've lost the only place in the neighborhood that served food. Sigh. No more gourmet cheesecake or malasadas.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 22:51
9. Re: Kiawe Kitchen closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 07:19