We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to have dinner?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to have dinner?

I will be staying overnight at the Kilauea Lodge on 11/14, and plan to have dinner there, too. What time do people recommend I make reservations? Should I have dinner first and then do some lava viewing at night, or do the lava viewing in the early evening then have dinner afterwards?

In other words, I guess I'm asking what the best time is to view the lava. :-)

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,848 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to have dinner?

I can tell you what I did recently.

Showed up to view the glow (NOT lava to be seen) at dusk and a few minutes. Very crowded to my mind.

Had dinner at 6:45 reservation. They don't seat at 7; it is 6:45 or 7:30 at the Lodge.

We had a party of four and we kind of closed the Lodge at about 9:45. The Lodge was all full at the early time and much quieter after the first seatings cleared out.

We went back to the glow at 10 and it was really nice and much better. pzp advocates midnight.

That said, you have to look at the weather that night. Another time we went, it was raining early, so we went to have dinner, and it was still raining ... and it was a wash, couldn't see anything.

Other times, it may be raining and stop later, or it could be clear at dusk and start raining ... island weather can do just about anything.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to have dinner?

I was wondering about the no 7 p.m. seating. I assumed it was just because it had already filled up. Good to know otherwise.

Thanks for the advice, particularly about the weather...

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,848 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to have dinner?

The no 7 pm is to give the kitchen staff a break.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to have dinner?

Makes sense.

5. Re: Best time to have dinner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 13:19