We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Hawaii

Which Volcano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Elmwood Park, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Hawaii

My Fiance and I are planning our honeymoon to Hawaii in June. This is both of our first time going. We will be splitting our 10-12 days btwn the Big Island (just to check out the volcanoes and some scuba diving), Maui and Kauai. Not sure if it would be best to start with the BI then head to Maui or visa versa. We only plan on staying for a night or two on the BI. Any suggestions on hotels? We were thinking the Fairmount Orchid. Also we were told that the air tour would be our best bet to experience the volcano since it is a 3 hour ride each way to the volcano. Any help is appreciated.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,534 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Hawaii

So you are thinking of trying to do 3 islands, including the Big Island? A good rule of thumb is one week per island and even more time for the Big Island. Personally for a honeymoon, I would split your 10-12 days btw Maui and Kauai, staying on Maui first and then heading to Kauai, staying on the northshore of Kauai in June. I would save the Big Island for an anniversary trip! :)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Hawaii

There's no way to tell if the volcano will be active in June, air, ground, whatever, so you would be gambling.

It is hard to encourage people to come here who don't feel any passion to see the Big Island. We are not a one sight island.

Then when the scuba is involved, how do you plan to manage that with a one night stay and a helicopter flight? Aren't you going to run into issues with not ascending for a certain amount of time after a dive?

FYI, even a drive from the Fairmont gives a diver problems within the first day, as the Volcano is at 4000 feet.

Lastly, the Fairmont is not a great honeymoon hotel because it caters so much to large corparate groups, which generate noise. The Mauna Lani is a much more romantic choice.

In any case, I agree with coalminer. You are biting off too much and that is likely because you've never been here. If you split it between Maui and Kaua'i, you are still shorting both islands a little, but it will be a good trip. Adding the third will be totally hectic and airports and transit will overshadow your honeymoon.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,217 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Hawaii

Always count your nights - not your days.

If you truly have 12 nights - your plan is doable. If you simply want to visit Volcanoes National Park (VNP) - you can take a day trip - or fly to Hilo and spend a night or two. The BIG Island is BIG - considerable distances. The Fairmont Orchid is no where near VNP. Air tours are great if conditions are amenable - but you should leave from Hilo.

Scuba on Maui instead?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,069 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Hawaii

You can't do both the volcano and diving in 1-2 days on the Big Island. You won't have time to adjust, and the activities are on opposite sides of the island. As mentioned, the volcano may not be doing anything interesting when you're here, but a day trip may be warranted. The park is worth seeing.

Maui does have a volcano (Haleakala). It's dormant but well worth seeing. You can dive Maui, too.

Kaua`i is a good choice for spectacular scenery and a more rural, laid-back ambiance.

Elmwood Park, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Hawaii

Thank you! I was not even thinking about the helicopter and diving issue - clearly I am not experienced lol. Any recommendations on great honeymoon hotels on Maui and Kauai? I heard that the Grand Hyatt in Kauai is a must!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,217 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Hawaii

<<Any recommendations on great honeymoon hotels on Maui and Kauai? I heard that the Grand Hyatt in Kauai is a must!>>

Post your question on the respective forums. Also include your nightly accomodations budget.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,534 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Hawaii

What is your budget? :)

8. Re: Honeymoon in Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 13:55
LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Hawaii

You've been reported for continuous advertising Sebastian.

Only a real scum tries to get around the no-advertising rules.

Who would risk their vacation renting from a company that cheats?

10. Re: Honeymoon in Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 11:59