We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about mosquitoes...

Seattle
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Question about mosquitoes...

My wife and I absolutely love the Big Island, especially the Hilo side, having been there 3 times in a 2-year period. :)

However, the last couple of trips we have somehow managed to stay in 2 different areas (very near the water at sea level) where mosquitoes were quite problematic; it is esp. bad for her because when she is bitten it creates large, unsightly welts that are very uncomfortable as well as embarrassing.

We have heard this is much less of an issue up in Volcano.

Can anyone tell us if this is true? In fact, what insect issues, if any, are present in the Volcano area?

Any thoughts and/or opinions on this are most welcome.

Mahalo!!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,527 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about mosquitoes...

That's a good question. I know there are mosquitos there as the Park management has periodically detailed efforts to control them and studied how wild pigs and breeding nene geese create mud wallows which mossies breed in. But at the same time, I've never actually seen a mosquito in Volcano. Both the relative cold and elevation would seem to make it much less attractive to mosquitos than the Hilo area.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about mosquitoes...

Yes, it's safe to say that there are fewer mosquitoes in the Volcano area. But that kinds of limits your vacation choices! If she's very diligent about applying a good DEET-free repellent (the neem-based ones are excellent), that should help a lot.

LA
Level Contributor
10,301 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about mosquitoes...

I've seen mosquitoes in the rather large area called "Volcano", especially as you are farther east and at lower elevation nearer Hilo.

The area near the golf course is pretty dry and I don't think I've seen them there.

They are also in some of the moister areas- the fern forest, and on a few of the wet trails of the park, but nothing at all like the Hilo area.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about mosquitoes...

Well, when we talk about the Volcano area (capital V), we're referring to Volcano (the town) and its immediate environs. But you're right, there are mosquitoes pretty much everywhere in Hawaii, although at the colder, drier and higher altitudes there are definitely fewer to deal with.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about mosquitoes...

Mosquito senses depend on odor to hone in on you, and are confused by breeze. If you stay where there is a good breeze you are unlikely to get bitten out in the open. They bite heavily under tree canopy and if you walk at dusk especially on lawn -- we call those the ankle biters.

Lots of mosquitoes in my area, but it really depends on keeping in the open AND being vigilant about sources of stagnant water, pots, containers, and so forth.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about mosquitoes...

After bites I take Claritin-D. The swelling, itch and even redness almost disappear.

.I've never seen Mosquitos in the park. But the Botanical garden on the east side is Mosquito central..

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about mosquitoes...

Yeah, I live near the Botanical Garden, and yet because I'm not under the tree canopy, I don't have a mosquito problem. If I walk into the gulch, it's mosquito central all right. HTBG is basically in a gulch. Gulches bad unless you use repellant!

8. Re: Question about mosquitoes...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 07:16