We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volcano housing

usa
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
volcano housing

Looking at renting a property called Hale Kalani. Anyone seen or heard of it? Property management is slow to respond to my questions. any suggestions for places to stay for 2 nights?

Thanks!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: volcano housing

If you are referring to the Kalani Cottages it is no more. It's under new ownership and it's called Lotus Garden Cottages now. www.volcanogetaway.com

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: volcano housing

You didn't specify what you are looking for, but we have consistently recommended our favorite place: the Volcano TeaPot Cottage. It s even more attractive and comfortable than the website details--the owners are very pleasant, helpful if you need anything, but very respectful of your privacy as well. We've been there twice and plan on always going back when on that side of the island.

usa
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: volcano housing

The name of the property is Hale Kalani. I believe it is in Volcano Village. It is a rent by owner but is managed by Volcano Gallery. I finally did get an email back from the manager.

We looked at Tea Pot B&B but there are 8 of us and renting a house fits more into our budget.

Staying at the Fairways Villas Waikoloa for 8 days then over to Volcano where we are going to spend 3 days exploring VNP and Hilo. Flying out of Hilo at 6:00 pm to Kauai for another 6 days.

Just a little excited!!!

Any suggestions on things to see would be greatly appreciated.

USA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: volcano housing

We just stayed there and yes, the property manager is VERY slow to respond. This is the 2nd time we've used her and the first time was very favorable but she's really seemed to drop the ball lately.

We stayed at Hale Kalani mid-May and we had 2 nights booked and and left after one night. Not b/c there was anything SUPER bad there but they advertised a queen bed and it's a FULL! Hubby and I had to go to the guest room (2 twins) and it wasn't much better. None of the beds have headboards so you're either losing your pillow all night or if you scoot the bed against the wall you're getting attacked by the blinds in the master or about the rip the curtains down in the guest room. The rest of the house is pretty much okay but if it's available, I'd stay at Hale Mahinui. It's a BEAUTIFUL property 5 streets up in the subdivision. Everything is just better there but it wasn't available for our stay.

Hope this helped!

Angie

USA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: volcano housing

We just stayed there and yes, the property manager is VERY slow to respond. This is the 2nd time we've used her and the first time was very favorable but she's really seemed to drop the ball lately.

We stayed at Hale Kalani mid-May and we had 2 nights booked and and left after one night. Not b/c there was anything SUPER bad there but they advertised a queen bed and it's a FULL! Hubby and I had to go to the guest room (2 twins) and it wasn't much better. None of the beds have headboards so you're either losing your pillow all night or if you scoot the bed against the wall you're getting attacked by the blinds in the master or about the rip the curtains down in the guest room. The rest of the house is pretty much okay but if it's available, I'd stay at Hale Mahinui. It's a BEAUTIFUL property 5 streets up in the subdivision. Everything is just better there but it wasn't available for our stay.

Hope this helped!

Angie

usa
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: volcano housing

Angie,

Thanks for the info. Is the other house rented from the same place? Would like to check it out.

Thanks!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: volcano housing

The Country Goose B&B also has several houses they rent out:

http://www.countrygoose.com/homes.htm

I haven't stayed there, but their reviews are very good, and people rave about the breakfasts.

I didn't look at all of them; some of them may be too small for your party. But, the Volcano Chalet looked promising:

"The Volcano Chalet is a spacious three bedroom, 2 bath home featuring a fireplace, king size bed in the master suite, and enough room to sleep nine people. Only 2 miles from Volcano National Park, this home includes two bikes and two sets of golf clubs for your use. Ideal for all. *$180/night + tax based on double occupancy; additional guests $20.00 each"

Best of luck!

Hamakua Coast, BI
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: volcano housing

Hey marathonmom, don't forget to slow down while you are here and if you can, visit the Hilo Tropical gardens along the scenic drive north of Hilo.

If you like hiking, in VNP take the circular crater hike across the road and down a bit from Thurston lava tube (can't remember the name??? Crater Iki?) Anyway, the walk across the crater is so amazing considering it was spouting huge lava fountains in the 50s.

Outside of Kona, we all tend to move slower, so be patient with us.

USA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: volcano housing

Yes, it was all through Volcano Gallery.

volcanogallery.com/volcano__village_choice_.…

I believe Hale Mahinui is the first one listed. It's beautiful. Can't remember if the couch upstairs pulls out or not so I don't know if it could accommodate 8 though. But you might want to mention that in your reservation request to see if she can suggest homes she manages that could accommodate that many people and I think you can compare availability of several properties at once.

If you happen to be in Hilo over a Wednesday or Saturday, make sure to hit the Hilo Farmers Market. It's HUGE and you can find lots of unique things there. A nice place for a picnic is Queen Lili park on Banyan Drive. If you go up Akaka Falls way make a side trip to Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden (http://www.htbg.com/). We weren't big "garden people" before we went but this place is just beautiful. Some waterfalls, right on the ocean, a little section with birds, lots of photo ops in one place.

Angie

10. Re: volcano housing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 00:18