We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a Lava Hike Tour that will take young children ?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a Lava Hike Tour that will take young children ?

Hi fellow enthusiastic travelers,

Could you recommend a Lava Hike Tour that will take young children ( age 8 and 5) ? I have looked into 2 reputable tour companies ( Volcano Discover Hawaii and Kalapana culture tours) from trip advisor and really want to book a hike tour with one of them. Any information will be greatly appreciated ! thank you for your time !

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,608 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a Lava Hike Tour that will take young children ?

Aloha,

I would call to find out for sure.

Interesting name, BTW....

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a Lava Hike Tour that will take young children ?

I would recommend calling Volcano Discovery to discuss it with them. If you are going to go with anyone, this is the company that I would recommend and if they aren't willing to take children as young as 5 due to risk to the child, then I wouldn't consider going with another operator even if they will take a 5 year old.

When I called them to discuss our tour prior to booking, I was really impressed with the time that they took to answer my questions ... and the tour guide that we had was excellent. They are very safety conscious and their groups are small ... two factors that I think are important for a hike with children.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a Lava Hike Tour that will take young children ?

... just to add to my post above, if your children are good hikers and you can't do the lava hike, consider the Kilauea Iki hike ... everyone will be wowed by that one (but no lava flows to be seen on it) nps.gov/havo/…hike_day_kilaueaiki.htm

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,126 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a Lava Hike Tour that will take young children ?

I believe they both have a minimum age of 10 as would any reputable tour operator. Both the air quality, potential danger, terrain and difficulty of this hike make it completely inappropriate for younger children.

I agree with the suggestion of the Kilauea Iki hike if your children fit and accustomed to hikes of 2-3 hours with moderate ascents and descents.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,602 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a Lava Hike Tour that will take young children ?

Hiking on lava is difficult and potentially dangerous, as the stuff will cut you up if you fall. And it's a long hike, and it gets HOT on the lava fields. I wouldn't take young keiki on such a hike.

6. Re: Is there a Lava Hike Tour that will take young children ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 06:20