We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VNP, closed if government shutdown?

Sitka, Alaska
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
VNP, closed if government shutdown?

I noticed there's a gate and $10 vehicle entry fee into Volcanoes National Park. My question is that if the federal government can't agree on things and decides to shutdown, will that cut off all access to Volcanoes National Park? Are there alternate ways to get in and hike or is the gate the only entrance?

I wanted to see what the possibilities are for park access since I plan on visiting in several weeks.

Edited: 29 September 2013, 00:18
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,079 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VNP, closed if government shutdown?

There's no alternative way in. The gate is open and untended between dusk and morning opening, during which times people are free to go in and out. Obviously there is no hiking at night.

If the Rangers were indeed laid off, I cannot imagine they would leave the Park open, as the potential for harm to the area and liability would seem great. So far this shutdown has not happened, so no precedent here.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
663 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: VNP, closed if government shutdown?

hmmmm I hadn't even thought of this. We have two nights booked at Volcano House. Think I need a back up plan?

San Jose, California
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: VNP, closed if government shutdown?

In November of 1995 my wife and I were staying at Volcano House when the first Gingrich/Clinton shutdown set in. On the morning of the first day of the shutdown, I woke up to find all park roads blockaded with barricades and traffic cones, or gated shut, except for the main east-west highway that connects the Kona coast with Hilo, and the little network of roads between that highway and Volcano House itself. At breakfast we learned the park was closed, Volcano House was closing, and we had 48 hours to find alternative arrangements and leave. We were instructed to in the meantime confine ourselves to the hotel and immediately-surrounding grounds, and in particular we were forbidden from hiking. I believe we were told we could be cited, but don't remember for sure. We spent the day hiking anyway, then left the following morning.

I see no reason to expect a dis-similar experience this time. What we experienced at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park in 1995 was completely consistent with what the Department of Interior (the department which runs the National Park Service) said on Friday is how all NPS-operated park units will be operated if there is a shutdown (as seems a foregone conclusion now): see doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/NPS-FAQ.pdf

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
663 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: VNP, closed if government shutdown?

Thank you. We are booking a back up stay that we can cancel three days prior. Hopefully (for many reasons much more important than our inconvenience/disappointment) the shutdown won't last nearly long enough to interfere with our plans.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VNP, closed if government shutdown?

Who would be citing if they are not working?

The longest shutdown in the last 30 yrs has been 17 days. They average 1-3 days.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,532 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VNP, closed if government shutdown?

<<"Who would be citing if they are not working?">>

The answer is in Scott's link above :)

Edited: 01 October 2013, 00:19
7. Re: VNP, closed if government shutdown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 05:18