We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton or Marriott and how far from each other are they?

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palo Alto, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton or Marriott and how far from each other are they?

I have a ocean view room booked at the Hilton for 2nd week in April. I would like a sep. br and lr area, as I have a 1 year old and don't like sleeping in the same room as her. The Hilton doesn't have any 1 bedrooms available, but I noticed the Marriott has 'luxury suites' or cabana rooms available for 360!! I imagine those would be much better....

So my question is this, how far is the Marriott from the Hilton? My husband will need to go to the Hilton thruout the day for a convention. And is the hilton way better as far as pools and such? Or is the sheer size of it annoying? Any opinions as to which hotel is better given out situation?????

THANKS!!!!!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
708 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton or Marriott and how far from each other are they?

The Hilton and Marriott are pretty much right next door to each other. It would be about a 10 minute walk, or a 2 minute drive.

The Hilton is really huge. But the pools are great. The Marriott is undergoing some serious construction. I hear it's still pretty bad, but TT will probably be able to tell you more about that. The Marriott itself is on a great bay, whereas the Hilton has no real beach--just their man-made lagoon. The beach line at the Hilton is just too rocky.

Personally, I think the Marriott will definitely be the better choice once the remodel is complete. The Hilton isn't bad, it's just super huge and didn't impress me much except for the pools.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the cabana rooms at the Marriott.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton or Marriott and how far from each other are they?

At the end of January I wandered around the Marriott--I was waiting for the pickup to go to Evening at Kahua. The outside looked bad, reception was in a temporary area.

But, once up to the main floor, it looked great. The pool area looked very nice; better than the old version. So it ccertainly was better inside than first glance driving up.

Having a real beach is better, I think. The Hilton is annoyingly large when we go to dinner there...it is a drag to walk forever or wait for a boat or train.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton or Marriott and how far from each other are they?

I was at the Marriott today. The bad news is they're doing construction in the pool area. The new infinity pool and a couple jacuzzis were open, but the old pool and keiki pool area are construction zones. Nalu's beach bar is closed, and what was really a drag is the regular path to the beach from the lobby was closed. The work they were doing around the pool was loud enough to where it would annoy me if I were anywhere in that area, and the person with me agreed.

I wouldn't stay there until they're done in the pool area, especially not at their new inflated prices. Hotel looks great, but without the beach bar, that only leaves Hawaii Calls, which is set way back into the hotel and has always been uninspired ... of course it may have been upgraded too, but the people eating there didn't look thrilled.

Philadelphia...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton or Marriott and how far from each other are they?

Angellab:

Sorry I don't have any information to help, instead I have a question. My wife and I will be at the Hilton at the same time, arriving on April 11. Can you advise what type of convention your husband is attending?

Thanks.

Steve

Palo Alto, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton or Marriott and how far from each other are they?

Thanks so much for all your responses. I was hoping the Marriott would be just about done being revamped. Maybe I'll post again at the beginning of April, and see whats going on then. I will keep my reservation for now at the Hilton, as construction in the pool area would ruin my trip.

Steve, he is going to the Kaiser Convention.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
19 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton or Marriott and how far from each other are they?

We just stayed at the Marriott a couple weeks ago. Pool construction is all done and both pools are now open. Only the ballroom at the entrance and grounds at entrance are being finished...the rest of the hotel is great. We Loved this resort. It was quieter than the Hilton. You will love those cabana rooms . They are separate from the main hotel and have direct views of the ocean (and closer) and are private. The pools are very close yet the cabanas are in a very private location.

There is a beach path between the 2 hotels. It is rocky in places but is very scenic. It's so much more expensive at the Hilton and so vast that it's daunting getting from the lobby to your room or to the main pools. You have to either take a hike, or wait for a monorail or boat...besides, the Marriott has its own beach and we loved it.

7. Re: Hilton or Marriott and how far from each other are they?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 08:17