We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too windy in March?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Too windy in March?

We loooove the beach. We spend the majority of our days on the beach in Hawaii. Waikoloa has gorgeous beaches, but I'm reading it often strong winds in March. Do not like windy days at all. Should we choose another island? Any recommendations for a beach area on any island with fabulous weather in March?

2 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
989 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too windy in March?

I think it can be windy anytime, but what I wouldn't like in March is the temperature of the ocean. It's perfect in September/October.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Too windy in March?

The Big Island isn't any windier than anywhere else. But strong winds can happen anywhere, any time of year. Last year we had a week solid of ridiculous wind on the Kohala Coast. First time in a long time I can remember that ever happening, usually if we get strong winds, it's just for a day or two. You just never know. The issue in March is generally big ocean swells along the northwest coast where almost all of the good snorkeling and decent beaches are, making snorkeling and swimming difficult. Even though the Kohala Coast is a lot more reliably dry and sunny than anywhere else in Hawaii that time of year, because of ocean conditions, Maui is often a better bet that time of year. Plus it has the best whale watching.

Waikoloa Beach, by the way, is just one resort area, and it doesn't actually have any great beaches. It's the Kohala Coast, generally, that has the good beaches, and that's inclusive of a lot of areas other than Waikoloa Beach.

Reply to: Too windy in March?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted